Car cranks but will not start, happened 4 times over 3 months.

CALGUY77
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 2001 ford Explorer Sport, over the past 3 months on 4 different occasions, the car would crank but it wouldn't turn over. The starter engaged and I could hear the motor trying to start but it just wouldn't turn over. I've had it towed in twice and both times when it got towed in the car started right up. On the other two occasions when I didn't tow it in I waited 20 minutes and it started right up. The mechanics can't reproduce the problem so they have no clue. They've hooked it up to a computer and gotten no error messages. The car drives just fine. I took it to a car alarm specialist because a couple friends said they had similar issues and it was the alarm, but the alarm guy said that don't believe the alarm has anything to do with it. Just today I started and drove the vehicle 12 times running errands. It is a very random thing happening. I'm stuck. Any ideas or help?
Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 1:17 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 1:20 AM
CALGUY77
Thank you, the mechanic has already checked for these issues and it is not any of them. That is why this is so perplexing.
Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 1:50 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
You say that if you allow it to cool down (sit for awhile) it starts right up. This tells me you may be having an intermittent issue with the fuel pump. Either it stops generating enough pressure when it heats up or it stops pumping altogether. Next time it happens, IMMEDIATELY check the fuel pressure to see where it sits.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 11:20 PM