2001 Ford Expedition Broken socket on belt tensioner

RHAUS
  • 2001 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a 2001 Ford Expedition EB with 160,000 miles. The alternator finally gave up. No problem. $160 bucks and 1-1/2 hours later and I had a new one installed. However! I noticed, just before starting the engine to check the installation, that the belt was not quite in place on one of the pulleys. I brought out the 1/2" drive and a small cheater pipe and rotated the pulley arm to allow me to move the belt to its correct alignment. I guess in my haste I did not seat the drive properly and ended up breaking out the pulley socket pocket.

My question. Since this now missing material which was directly above where the pulley pivot is located, have I compromised the integrity of this area enough to have to worry about a failure (pulley pivot breaking off?) To have it replaced?

What does one grab onto, now that the socket is gone, to rotate the arm?
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 3:08 PM

Just replace the belt and tensioner they are recommended a t60k you can place a large screwdriver where pointed out and move it to get belt undone. Make sure alignment is correct otherwise it will wear the new belt fast.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 3:35 PM
RHAUS
I replaced the belt about 30K miles ago and it looks great, no cracking.

As for the screwdriver placement? It appears that you are suggesting that I now rotate the arm using the idler pulley as the upper ground point and the middle of the arm as the pressure point?

The question if I should replace the arm due to the missing material? I should assume that this does not bother you?
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 3:57 PM
If you didn't replace the tensioner when you did the blet then it needs to be done so releivng tension to remove belt then removing the tensioner an dreplacing it won't matter if you damage the tensioner further. But it shouldn't take a lot to move it anyhow. If the area that you said is broken (pic) then it's not going to last very long anyhow
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 4:06 PM
RHAUS
You have pointed to the area that is broken all right! Two sides of the square 'socket' are gone. Thus my concern. Since I am by myself, and most likely will need assistance, I will now take the Expedition to my trusted independent this coming week. It looks like it should be less than a 1/2 hour shop charge plus about $40 for the new arm. So my cost saving self repair will wind up costing me a bit of labor $'s after all. Oh well.

Thanks for your time and input. And have a great 4th.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 4:17 PM
You cold probably do that yourself it's apretty easy job unless you feel you'll damage it more it runs from $25-46 at rock auto so a local store would be n that price range, more where you replace it. But it 's up to you.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 4:22 PM
RHAUS
The local (central Texas) AutoZone has the part for $42 +tax. The information that I can find online indicates that the shop time should be in the.4 hour range to replace it. At $90/hr that would be about $36 +tax.

As I stated, I am the lone person here to work on my equipment. An '05 F350, '12 Expedition, Kubota diesel tractor and two Kawasaki mules. Add to that I will be 70 later this month. The point being that I am not as agile and flexible as I used to be. I don't even change my own oil any longer!

The alternator was easy, all standing upright. Crawling under the vehicle and having to relieve the belt tension AND slide the belt off, well, I think the $36 may just be well spent. My error in not watching closely what I was doing. So a bit of penance may just be required.

Again, have a great week-end.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 4:50 PM