2001 Ford Expedition Battery Drain

WAYNEMERTZ
  • 2001 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a battery drain which drains my current battery overnight. On a new battery in two days.
I have tested the drainage several times and see a drainage of.08 milliamps. When I pull the #1 fuse (Audio) it goes down to.01 milliamps. Now this looks good, but in the morning the battery is dead to the point that the car will not start... I am currently trying to pull the 15amp fuse for the interior/running board lights and the 25amp audio fuses to see if the battery holds up overnight. It seems something is coming on overnight that is draining the battery.
I just picked up this truck, so I know very little about it. I know something isn't correct with the load leveler system, but I have that switch turned off (lower kick panel on passenger side). Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Sunday, September 21st, 2014 AT 1:01 PM

MHPAUTOS
Place Amp meter between Bat Pos (+) and the cable, read off current draw with all doors closed and key out of ignition, now you can pull all fuses one at a time and check for any circuit drawing excessive current, do not forget to also test alternator, by disconnection battery feed as well as, as a blown diode in the regulator can cause current draw and still give you a charge rate, albeit lower than what would be normal.
-1
Sunday, September 21st, 2014 AT 2:28 PM
WAYNEMERTZ
I have traced the battery drain to the 30amp fuse under the hood that controls the PCM. With the fuse out, the battery stays charged. When put in, the battery drains out within hours. The question is: How many outgoing circuits are there from the PCM which might somehow drain the battery with the ignition off? Perhaps I can find their connectors and disconnect them one at a time to see if the battery stays charged.

Thanks.
+1
Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 AT 8:40 PM
MHPAUTOS
The PCM uses a multi pin cannon plug that feeds all the engine management system, disconnecting each control unit will cause more problems than it is worth, I would first do a scan for any codes and if you can get a good test unit as a trial, plug that in and see if it fixes the problem, the PCM may well be at fault itself.
Friday, October 3rd, 2014 AT 1:43 AM