2001 DODGE RAM NOT SHIFTING

• Alesha01
  • 2001 DODGE RAM

I just got my truck out of the shop they rebuilt my transmission and put in a new valve body. The week before they put in new ujoints. When I picked it up today they told me I need a new transfer case cause when you put it in reverse it grinds. So they told me until I can get the money to fix that to drive my truck in four wheel drive if I have to drive it. On my way taking it home it wouldn't change gears while driving I could only go 20 mph. Would the transfer case cause it to do that?

Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 8:34 PM

• Madmike1735
  • 963 POSTS

No. The transfer case only "transfers" power from the transmission to the rear differential, and to the front differential when its in 4x4. When you get the grinding in reverse, does it grind when your stopped? If so, then you know its your transmission, because nothing moves in the transfer case until you are moving. And never ever drive your vehicle in 4x4 unless its snowing out, or your in mud. 4x4 on dry pavement is the worst thing you can do. The advice they gave you is enough to seal the deal, and NEVER go back to them.

Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 8:54 PM
  • Alesha01

Yeah I didn't think it was the transfer case either. So they probably didn't fix my transmission at all cause when shifting it into reverse it would grind and that's why I took in to be fixed in the first place. And it's still doing it after all the work they supposedly did on my truck

Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 11:00 PM
  • Madmike1735
  • 963 POSTS

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Garages like that give us techs a bad name. Im a lead technician in an upstanding garage here in CT. Most of our customers have left other shops, and come to me due to similiar issues. You pay big money, you expect your car fixed. Finding a good garage is hard, but I have found online reviews dont lie. Check online for a good garage in your area. Expect to pay around $100 an hr, but you will get what you pay for. We are here to help in anything to prevent that trip, so dont give up on us.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:46 PM
  • Alesha01

Thank you! I will look online and I will leave my own review for the shop I used so let others know!

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:52 PM
  • Madmike1735
  • 963 POSTS

Hey, just curious how you are doing with your issue. What did the original garage say? Keep me posted.

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 4:45 PM
  • Alesha01

They stuck with the original thing they said saying it's the transfer case I am currently trying to find somewhere else to give me a second opinion but after all the money I paid them it will take awhile :( but as soon as I get it all figured out I will defiantly let you know what they say!

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 4:48 PM
  • Madmike1735
  • 963 POSTS

I wish I could there and give them a piece of my mind. Your tranny grinds going into reverse. What does the T-case have to do with it? Im sorry, but that just gets me mad.

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 5:02 PM