DO I NEED AN ALTERNATOR

2001 Dodge Ram

joetx

August, 30, 2011 AT 12:54 PM

My truck will not stay on if I release the gas pedal. Have trouble turning it on again. Have to idle high to stay on

My Alternator Quit Charging

Charging System Trouble

August, 30, 2011 AT 2:19 PM

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON?...MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE CODES CHECKED, PRIOR TO DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY...CAN USUALLY BE DONE AT A PARTS STORE FOR FREE.

HAVE BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR TESTED AT A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE FOR FREE! (ON THE VEHICLE, IF POSSIBLE, IF IT WILL MAKE IT)

TAKE BATTERY IF NOTHING ELSE....I DOUBT THIS IS YOUR ISSUE...BUT IT'S USUALLY FREE, TO CHECK IT OUT ANYWAY.

MIGHT TRY CLEANING THIS TOO...THIS IS THE WIFE'S ESCAPE, YOURS SHOULD BE SIMILAR...USE A CAN OF THROTTLE BODY CLEANER ON IT, THE HOLES IT COVERED, AND THE THROTTLE PLATE ALSO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-escape-rough-idle-at-low-rpm

LOOK FOR VACUUM LEAKS TOO.

Wrenchtech

August, 30, 2011 AT 2:28 PM

Why would you suspect the alternator? Is the car starting on it's own?

caradiodoc

August, 30, 2011 AT 7:38 PM

Sounds like the battery might have been disconnected or run dead recently. If so, the Engine Computer lost its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Serpentine Belt Replacement