LOSING POWER WHEN IN OVERDRIVE

• rampageram1500
  • 2001 Dodge Ram

I drive a dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 and when in overdrive it loses a lot of its power and makes a grinding noise what is my problem? The sound comes from the front of the trans and sometimes its sounds like it comes from the differential. It sometimes does this when it is not in overdrive.

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 3:13 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Does the sound seem to come from the transmission area? Have you checked trans fluid to make sure it is clean and full?

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 4:21 AM
  • rampageram1500

Yes it comes from the transmission area sometimes and very rarely it seems like it comes from the differential. I have checked the fluid and it was clean and full. It usually only does this when in overdrive or when going up a hill.

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 5:51 AM
  • rampageram1500

I forgot to mention it isn't and has not thrown any codes because of this problem (yet).

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:07 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Just to add, it sounds like you have a torque converter issue in the trans. The grinding may be the converter itself. Have seen this in the past. Have a trans shop verify this and give you a bid.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 4:58 AM
  • rampageram1500

Okay, thanks a lot for both of your help. Maybe it will end up just being a torque converter issue. My wallet is wishing that's the case.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 6:05 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Good luck

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 6:40 PM