2001 Dodge Ram (4 wheel drive issues)

STEVEY0151
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4. I recently (2 months ago) had to bring the truck into a shop to get the rear differential replaced. Since the replacement, my 4 wheel drive will not engage? Any ideas as to what could be wrong? The light does not come on the dashboard and there is no 4 wheel drive action happening.

Thank you for your time.
Sunday, March 4th, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

Check to make sure your shifter is working and has proper adjustment. There is a locking bolt on the linkage that may have fallen off.
+1
Sunday, March 4th, 2012 AT 11:49 PM
STEVEY0151
HMAC300:

How do I go about making sure the shifter is working and properly adjusted. Where is this locking bolt?
Monday, March 5th, 2012 AT 12:47 AM
The locking bolt is near the end of the rod. You will have to have a helpermove the shift lever to see if it's working. If the rod is working then there is something wrong inside the t-case.
ADJUSTMENT SHIFT LEVER

1. Move shift lever into 2H position.
2. Raise vehicle.

Fig. 118: Shifter Adjustment
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

3. Loosen shift rod lock bolt at trunnion (Fig. 119).

Fig. 119: Shift Rod Lock Bolt Location
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

4. Check shift rod fit in trunnion. Be sure rod does not bind in trunnion. Lubricate the shift rod and trunnion if necessary.
5. Verify that transfer case shift lever is in 2H detent position. The 2H detent position on the transfer case shift arm is the second position from full forward.
6. Align the adjustment locating hole on the lower shifter lever with the adjustment channel on the shifter bracket assembly (Fig. 120).

Fig. 120: Shifter Adjustment Location
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.

7. Insert an appropriately sized pin through into the adjustment channel and through the locating hole to hold the shifter in the correct position.
8. Tighten shift rod lock bolt to 10 N.M (90 in. Lbs.) Torque.
9. Remove the locating pin from the adjustment channel and locating hole.
10. Check shift linkage operation. Be sure transfer case shifts into and operates properly in all ranges.
+2
Monday, March 5th, 2012 AT 12:52 AM
HAZARIKA
Hi,

Thanks for the diagram it helpful. I have the same problem on my 2001 Ram 1500.
Could you help me with the orientation of the piece that goes on the transfer case. I didn't make a note of it and it can fit both ways. Does the number side (572) go on the inside or outside same for the rod?

Appreciate it.
+1
Friday, November 21st, 2014 AT 6:19 AM
Hazirka this should be reposted but if you have the diagram it's pretty self explanatory look at both pics in answer.
Friday, November 21st, 2014 AT 6:58 AM
HAZARIKA
Unfortunately I don't have the diagram for the end that goes to the transfer case. The problem is the piece that gets bolted to the transfer case shifter it can fit 2 ways, not sure which is the right way.

Thanks.
Friday, November 21st, 2014 AT 7:36 AM
Hazarika, in the future you must repost or these questions won't be answered. The arrow in pic points to the way of tcase
Friday, November 21st, 2014 AT 9:37 AM