2001 Neon Tranny Problem

AMANAMAN1
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
  • 137 MILES
Got an 2001 Neon 2.0 automatic 94K that won't shift from second to third gear. It will shift from first to second and back down to first normally but it will not go into third. Had fluid/filter changed 1.5K ago and worked fine for last 6 months, fluid level is good and clean.
Sometimes it will also jump out of second gear like it is going into neutral then it'll catch back into second. No MIL codes or pending codes. Not sure if this is limp mode or not but from my understanding limp mode only gets you second and nothing else plus mil code. I am not getting that. Engine revs fine and rpms will keep going as high as I push the pedal when it is stuck in second gear. Someone please tell me this is a magical sensor problem or solenoid or something I can replace myself. I do most all my own repairs just never putzed with a transmission other than fluid/filter changes. Any advice is appreciated.
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 12:34 AM

KHLOW2008
Symptoms indicates a likely fault with the valve body. The 2-3 shift valve is malfunctioning.

Drop the oil pan and check for metal filings etc.
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 3:02 PM
AMANAMAN1
Well, since I submitted this I have been doing a bit of research and think I have an issue with the throttle control lever. The throttle pressure cable is not corroded or stuck and the cable itself moves freely. But with the cable unhooked from the control lever, the lever doesn't seem to be moving freely.

With the throttle pressure cable unhooked, when you rotate the lever all the way counter clockwise and release, it only wants to spring back about 1/4 of the way. I can move it all the way clockwise but it seems like it is hanging through its travel as in it doesn't move real freely. My question is, is the control lever supposed to spring all the way back clockwise? If not, is that shaft part of the valve body and if so does that mean I need to replaced the valve body? I tried PB plaster to loosen things up from the top but no luck. I can drop the pan and get into it deeper but wanted to try the top side approach first if there is one. Thanks so much for any advice you have.
Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 10:50 PM
FIXITMR
Did you try this with engine running? You'll know more if you pull trans pan? You may be able to see action of arm.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 12:55 AM
KHLOW2008
The throttle valve is within the valve body and emoving the valve body would enable you to check if it is stuck or has a broken spring.

Lever should spring back to maximum position when no pressure is applied.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 1:36 PM
AMANAMAN1
Well the throttle lever definitely is not springing back. Pretty positive it's the valve body at this point. I was putting it back together and now it's all jacked up. As in now the gear select lever won't move now and the entire gear select shaft will lift up about a 1/4" or so out of the trans housing, plus now the throttle valve shaft has no spring retention at all at this point. I'm going to pull the pan tonight and drop the valve body just to see what's going on but looks like I'm going to be replacing the valve body regardless. Part no longer available through Chrysler. Gotta go hunting.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 2:08 PM
KHLOW2008
There is a posibility the valve body can be repaired. It could be due to a broken spring or missing clip.

Anyway you need to remove it to check and who knows, you might get lucky.

Good luck.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 2:19 PM
AMANAMAN1
Well, looks like I got lucky! I pulled the valve body and nothing was broken. The throttle shaft and gear select shaft had dropped and got all out of whack when I remove the c-clip at the top of the shaft so that's why it it all came apart internally. Looks like my main problem was major corrosion on the throttle control shaft and gear select shaft. I cleaned the corrosion from both shafts, replaced the filter, replaced the shaft and housing seals and the TCC solenoid while I was in there, put it all back together and now she works perfectly. Shifts smooth and the kick down works properly. All is well. Thanks for your help.
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 2:51 PM
KHLOW2008
Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Have a nice day.
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 2:55 PM