2001 Dodge Neon engine

JARVISA
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
It snowed and now my engine wont start. I poured hot water on the car to melt the ice and snow. The first time I cranked it, it wouldn't start. I cranked it a couple more times and it did start but mad a loud noise and I let the car warm up and the engine light came on. So I turned the car off and when I went to crank it a few hrs later it wouldn't start at all. The radio and lights came on but the engine didn't make a sound.
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 10:58 AM

From your description, it sounds like you have two or three different problems. The starter doesn't crank the engine, and it doesn't make any sounds at all, like a single rather loud clunk each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank". When the engine DOES start and run, it's making a loud noise, but we don't know if that's a banging noise, a whistle or howl, a buzzing noise, etc. We don't know if it changes with engine speed or if it goes away in a short time. The Check Engine light is on which tells us the Engine Computer detected a problem, set a diagnostic fault code, and turned the light on to tell you. I don't know what you expected to fix by pouring water on something but if it got on the serpentine belt, at the very least there may be things that aren't working, like the power steering pump and alternator. If the belt hasn't been damaged, anything related to it should clear up once the ice breaks off.

If water ran inside the starter motor, it likely has frozen inside the solenoid. That is what engages the starter to the engine and turns on the motor. You might never get that ice out until the outside temperature gets above freezing. To start with, read the diagnostic fault codes. They will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. From those codes we can usually tell if they were set due to a belt problem that will clear up on its own or if it's something else that needs attention.

Cycle the ignition switch from "off" to "run" three times within five seconds without cranking the engine, leave it in "run", then watch the fault codes show up in the odometer display. Holler back with those numbers.
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 11:14 AM