2001 Dodge Neon Engine/tranny

REDNECKRACER89447
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
I have a 2001 Dodge Neon SE. On the back side of my engine (looking at the front of the car) there is a group of four wires that are plugged into (if I'm not mistaken) the front of my automatic transmission. Can someone please tell me what those wires are and what they do. I think those wires are the cause of my car problems.
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 6:48 AM

MHPAUTOS
Can you first describe what your symptoms are?

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 12:54 PM
REDNECKRACER89447
Sure. The only problem is I have talked to 6 mechanics and they have all told me different things. But ill try again.

About 2 days ago I was going up a slight incline when my car started to sound weird. Then I went to pass someone and pressed my accelerator to the floor but instead of accelerating my car actually slowed down, but my transmission had shifted down and the engine's RPS went up like it should have. The only difference was the car didn't accelerate. I finished driving home being careful not to floor it. About 2 miles from my house I came to a Red light. When the light turned green I pressed the accelerator and it almost felt like I had no engine. (I had made 3 stops b4 this with no problems) Then I found if I pressed my accelerator all the way to the floor and then slowly let up on it to a certain point I could get it to accelerate but never beyond 20 MPH. I got the car home (it was like 9pm) and thought I would try to use the little parking lot light to see if I could figure out what my problem was. After I opened the hood I could only see the front side of my engine. But the back side of my Engine had a Glow to it. Upon observing the backside of my engine I noticed that there was a red glow coming from somewhere. I could see what was glowing but didn't have any idea what it was. I went in my house got my flashlight and looked. There was a Wire coming from what I believe to be the transmission (maybe drive train) I followed that Wire and it became four wires. It the connected to a connector on the Right Hand side lower part of my engine.

Thats about the best I can describe it. Hope you can help
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM
MHPAUTOS
The glow will be an over heated cat converter, with the drivability issue I would be considering having a scan done to first check for any unresolved fault codes, (not all codes set a check light) have the converter check as it may be collapsing and blocking the exhaust, your glow is consistent with this problem as well, one possibility is that the lack of performance is a build up of back pressure caused by the blockage of the collapsed converter, the engine can't breath so it bogs down, start here.

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 9:19 PM
FIXITMR
Raw fuel into the converter will also make it glow! If your engine aint firing on all cyl but still using fuel that just gets pushed thru exhaust you get the glow.
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 10:14 AM