Stalling Van

BHWIRTZFELD
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
  • AWD
  • 159 MILES
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES AWD, 3.8 V6, Stalls when cold start up and during driving?
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 3:42 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
A few questions and I will try to help;

How many miles on the vehicle?
When it stalls when driving, is the vehicle in motion or at a stop?
Does it matter if the vehicle has had a chance to warm up or not when it stalls when driving?

Let me know and I will look for your response and we can figure out the source of the problem.
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 4:41 PM
BHWIRTZFELD
159,000, it stalls in both cases especially on a cold morning even if its warmed up and alot during backing out of the driveway. I think its a simple problem, but you are the experts. ;-)
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 4:47 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
The first thing that I would look into is the Idle Air Control Valve, IACV, which is sometimes also referred to a the engine Load Sensor, ELS.
This is an electro-mechanical device which idles up the engine when loads such as; power steering, A/C and other accessories or situations call for it.
Electric items are tough as they fail intermitantly.
Other suspects are vacuum leaks and emissions items such as the Exhaust Gas Return Valve, EGR.

Listen for a vacuum leak while the motor is running under the hood. Also, Try running a can or 2 of BG44K. It will work wonders. Make sure to change the oil afterwards as it works so well, it makes the oil really dirty.
Pull the plugs and tell me what thney look like and listen for a vacuum leak and get back to me and we will go from there.
It can adversely affect the performance of the engine.
It is tough to diagnose problems such as these because electric/mechanical control modules feed from sensors all over the engine and accessories which makes it hard to tell if a sensor is bad, the control unit is bad, an IACV is a control unit that sometimes has integrated sensors, or if the is a problem with the Vehicle Main Computer.
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 5:03 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

Is engine light on? On these newer vehicle just about everything will trigger the engine light. If it is on gettting codes read will assist in determining the cause of the problem.

Here are a couple other possibilities besides vacuum leaks.

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor

.
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 AT 3:42 PM