Mysterious Dirty red fluid

MR.CLIFFY06
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
I see drips of red on the bottom of my tranny pan. However it doesn't look like its coming from the gasket seal. I see the same red fluid on a 2x4 box attached to the front of the tranny. What is this "box" and where do I have this leak at? Also red fluid on the "checkered" thing behind the tranny and on the leftside of the tranny on the side plate behind the tire. I hear a "thud" when I shift from park to reverse. My brakes also need to be changed. Could this red fluid be brake fluid leaking?
Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 4:57 AM

The box you're referring to is the solenoid pack that activates the shift valves. It's a common place to find transmission fluid leaking, which is red. It will run and spray around to a lot of other places. Brake fluid is clear when it is new and will become dark brown after it has been hot.

You may need to pressure wash the transmission area, then watch for the source of the leak.

Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 7:08 AM

Sponsored links