THE IGNITION SWITCH FUSE 10A KEEPS BLOWING.

• Unat2carpros
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN

The ignition switch fuse (10A) keeps blowing. It only seems to happen when the vehicle is in drive. I can idle it forever in park, and it runs fine. As soon as I shift to drive and start going, it dies. I replaced the ignition switch, but the ignition switch fuse continues to blow

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:16 PM

• Wrenchtech

The fuses are labeled by number. What number fuse is it.

+1
Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
  • Freemba

That fuse also supplies power to the FUEL PUMP RELAY. If the relay is the problem it could cause the fuse to blow. Try swapping the fuel pump relay with an identical relay (in the same fuse box you should have an identical one). If the problem goes way then replace that relay.
If not, check for a wire with a bare spot on it in the large group of wires which lead from the power distribution box near the battery. These wires go under the battery box and it has been found that sometimes battery acid leaks on them and corrodes away the insulation allowing the bare wire to touch the frame causing blown fuses and other problems.

+1
Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:35 PM
  • Unat2carpros

Fuse number 23 is the number
freemba:
I will try that.

Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 5:59 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Fuse #23 powers the ignition switch. That means that the switch or anything it powers can be the cause so you're going to have to start inspecting the switch and wiring looking for something shorted out. Overloads can be very hard to identify.

+1
Saturday, December 15th, 2012 AT 6:12 PM