THE IGNITION SWITCH FUSE 10A KEEPS BLOWING

2001 Dodge Caravan

unat2carpros

December, 15, 2012 AT 5:16 PM

The ignition switch fuse (10A) keeps blowing. It only seems to happen when the vehicle is in drive. I can idle it forever in park, and it runs fine. As soon as I shift to drive and start going, it dies. I replaced the ignition switch, but the ignition switch fuse continues to blow

Wrenchtech

December, 15, 2012 AT 5:24 PM

The fuses are labeled by number. What number fuse is it.

freemba

December, 15, 2012 AT 5:35 PM

That fuse also supplies power to the FUEL PUMP RELAY. If the relay is the problem it could cause the fuse to blow. Try swapping the fuel pump relay with an identical relay (in the same fuse box you should have an identical one). If the problem goes way then replace that relay.
If not, check for a wire with a bare spot on it in the large group of wires which lead from the power distribution box near the battery. These wires go under the battery box and it has been found that sometimes battery acid leaks on them and corrodes away the insulation allowing the bare wire to touch the frame causing blown fuses and other problems.

unat2carpros

December, 15, 2012 AT 5:59 PM

Fuse number 23 is the number
freemba: I will try that.

Wrenchtech

December, 15, 2012 AT 6:12 PM

Fuse #23 powers the ignition switch. That means that the switch or anything it powers can be the cause so you're going to have to start inspecting the switch and wiring looking for something shorted out. Overloads can be very hard to identify.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000