OVERHEATING PROBLEMS

2001 Chevrolet Venture

csvial

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:03 AM

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture MiniVan that started overheating suddenly. I replaced the thermostat, and now the coolant temp. Sensor/sender. The fans do kick on but it seems later than it should. Still overheating and out of ideas, please help! Thanks

saturntech9

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:11 AM

What temp do the fans come on actual temp not what the gauge might be reading incorrectly. Best way to check it would be to use a temp gun where the upper hose hooks to the engine.

csvial

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:12 AM

Fans kick on at about 160

saturntech9

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:17 AM

Thats too cold did you use a temp to get this temp?They usually come on at 222-226 degrees.

csvial

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:23 AM

Yes, took the temp on the cap, not sure why it is so much cooler, the temp on the line is 230, this time when it kicked in. It's got me confused the outlet at the thermostat is 230 but the inlet to the pump is only 200, yet the gauge still keeps climbing.

saturntech9

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

When it gets that hot measure the temp of the upper and lower radiator hoses. Sounds like your thermostat might not be working correctly.

csvial

July, 3, 2011 AT 2:55 AM

K, this time was 270 on the upper and 230 on the lower. The thermostat is about 1 day old, and was the worst to replace I have ever seen I hope that it's not bad already.

saturntech9

July, 3, 2011 AT 3:15 AM

Sounds like the thermostat is working are both fans running on high when its that temp?Also have you made sure the cooling fins of the radiator arent clogged with sand fur debris etc causing not enough air to be pulled thru the radiator?

csvial

July, 3, 2011 AT 3:03 PM

Fins are clear, fans are on high. Have re-bled about 5 times, have now resorted to just draining the whole system and flushing to make sure there are no clogs. I've never had such a headache from a cooling system before.

cadieman

July, 3, 2011 AT 7:09 PM

Sounds like the radiator is restricked internaly. How is the flow through the inner radiator tubes?

saturntech9

July, 3, 2011 AT 7:47 PM

When you get it all back together and running up to temp use your temp gun to make sure the radiator is equal temp all the way across it. After you know the coolant is flowing thru the radiator.

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230