Overheating problems

CSVIAL
  • 2001 CHEVROLET VENTURE
I have a 2001 Chevy Venture MiniVan that started overheating suddenly. I replaced the thermostat, and now the coolant temp. Sensor/sender. The fans do kick on but it seems later than it should. Still overheating and out of ideas, please help! Thanks
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:03 AM

SATURNTECH9

These cars had problem with the head gasket which makes them overheat. To confirm the issue please run this test

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Please run down these guides and report back

Cheers
+1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:11 AM
CSVIAL
Fans kick on at about 160
-1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:12 AM
SATURNTECH9
Thats too cold did you use a temp to get this temp?They usually come on at 222-226 degrees.
+1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:17 AM
CSVIAL
Yes, took the temp on the cap, not sure why it is so much cooler, the temp on the line is 230, this time when it kicked in. It's got me confused the outlet at the thermostat is 230 but the inlet to the pump is only 200, yet the gauge still keeps climbing.
-1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:23 AM
SATURNTECH9
When it gets that hot measure the temp of the upper and lower radiator hoses. Sounds like your thermostat might not be working correctly.
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:49 AM
CSVIAL
K, this time was 270 on the upper and 230 on the lower. The thermostat is about 1 day old, and was the worst to replace I have ever seen I hope that it's not bad already.
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 2:55 AM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds like the thermostat is working are both fans running on high when its that temp?Also have you made sure the cooling fins of the radiator arent clogged with sand fur debris etc causing not enough air to be pulled thru the radiator?
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 3:15 AM
CSVIAL
Fins are clear, fans are on high. Have re-bled about 5 times, have now resorted to just draining the whole system and flushing to make sure there are no clogs. I've never had such a headache from a cooling system before so I finally did what you suggested and tested the head gaskets, they are blown :( going to cost me $1300.00 but at least I found the problem. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
+1
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 3:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 AT 7:47 PM