Tahoe will roll over but wont fire

TAHOEZ71NOOB
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I'm 22 I own a 2001 Tahoe z71 (5.3 V8) 140,000km bought it off my dad who wasn't around much to use it. Winter is setting in hear in canada my tires and ride were getting shaky I brought it in to my local indie all makes type guys to see what was up an alignment etc. Turns out I need to new rubber and I was driving on some dangerous tires so I left the car there for about 5 days while we waited for tires we ordered. I gave them the car with a little less than quarter tank I think the owner test drove it too before they looked at my tires assuming I had already checked them so now assuming they used a little gas while they had it there I guess it was low i'm not sure.I got to the shop tonight they just got my rubber on we went to start it it seems to get no fuel to it so these guys see some old remote starter that the first owner must have installed these guys assume its some gm security thing so they unplug the battery try pulling some tricks with the keys they had the doors open the whole time I think I why they kept complaining about the security flashing light which as I remembered was normal they took out the whole wiring for the remote starter and restoring my wiring back to oem state. The we try again no luck still not getting gas so hes looking at the fuel gage it sitting on no gas they tried to start the car about 7 times before this. We add gas not very much though and again no luck so one mechanic bangs on the fuel pump area with a hammer as the other turns the keys and it starts 10 secs and dies. They say its my fuel pump they were asking me if I knew about a relay or emergency fuel shutoff I am not sure looking for an answer to that. They then say they think its the fuel pump I read about having 6 gallons if its dry to start it gonna try that. I called them tonight and told them to try it well see tomorrow. Apparently there is some electronic thing on the pump that could have been disconnected or died as you can see I don't now much and I need some help not looking to replace the fuel pump for fun. What are the proper steps to diagnosing this could this be electrical? The security light stuff I dont get? Anything you answer I will forward to my mechanic steps to diagnosing the fuel system or other issues etc. They are quite capable of the work.
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 5:47 AM

KHLOW2008
First of all you need to determine if the fuel pump is working. When ignition is turned, the fuel pump should prime the system and then stop until you start cranking.

If the fuel pump is not working, you need to test for battery voltage to the fuel pump. You can use direct battery voltage to the fuel pump to test.

Is engine 4.8 L or 5.3 L?

Underhood there is a fuel pump relay. Check if the relay is being energised and if there is output voltage to the fuel pump.
-1
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 1:41 PM
TAHOEZ71NOOB
Thank you for the response sir. Engine is 5.3L V8 I was going to have him add gas so there's is 6 gallons in it apparently these guzzlers need that to fire as the tank is so big it gets shallow when low and the pump can't do its work so im told. After he calls me from trying then I will have my mechanic proceed with what you told me.
-1
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 5:57 PM
KHLOW2008
Ok, let me know what you find.

You can hear the pump easily if you remove the gas cap and put your ears near it while getting an assistant to turn the ignition on.
-1
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 7:35 PM
TAHOEZ71NOOB
I haven't got word back yet but I just wanted to know is there a emergency fuel shut off relay switch on my 2001 Tahoe 5.3 V8?
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 10:22 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, the Inertia switch is a Ford component only
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 12:22 AM
TAHOEZ71NOOB
The mechanic sent word back apparently everything else is good on the truck accept for the fuel pump. He says there is zero fuel pressure I think they burnt my pump out trying to start the truck with no gas is this possible? Is there any thing else besides fuel puemp and fuel filter I should replace while they are in there? Thank your for you help sirs.
-1
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 7:00 AM
KHLOW2008
It is not easy to burn the fule pump unless it has been kept running for extended periods. Fuel sending unit is integral part of fuel pump so have to be replaced as an assy.
-1
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 12:49 PM