Brake pedal suppose to make a grinding noise?

CHRIS12A
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Is the brake pedal suppose to make a grinding noise and push out causing the vehicle roll a little bit more before stopping. It is equipped with abs.

I had purchased the truck 2 weeks ago and noticed the fuse was missing for the abs so I purchased one and put it in. Then decided to run some errands. Thats when the abs kicked in to find out that is whats happening in the above question.

the brake pedal is actually making a grinding noise and pushing out with great force to keep the brakes from locking up and the truck keeps moving instead of stopping then it will stop making the noise and the force to come to a stop. Oh it will kick in after slowing down in the middle of braking.
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 7:59 PM

FIXITMR
So pull the fuse again?
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
FIXITMR
Did ABS light come on? Are the tires all the same size/inflation?
-1
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 8:15 PM
CHRIS12A
Right I am thinking about pulling the fuse again but not sure if I should yet. Yes the abs light was on before putting the fuse in but it did not turn back on while it was operating, the tires maybe the same size I didn't really check and as far as inflated to the right psi not sure at this point but they were 2 weeks ago
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 8:28 PM
CHRIS12A
Just checked the tires they are all the same size 265/75 r16 but the do look a little soft but after I reinflate the tires and its still doing the samething. What is it?
+1
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 AT 8:39 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Abs is activating for some reason. You need a shop with a scan tool to monitor these actions when it is happening.

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 12:13 AM
FIXITMR
I dont see how there could be a grinding noise from the brakes themselves since they dont do it with ABS off.
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 2:19 AM
CHRIS12A
No, its a grinding noise with the actual brake pedal when pressing on the brake it is strange. Ok thank you
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 AT 5:28 PM
TCR_CASS_13C
The ABS module valve motor is bad, replace it, also.

GM had A recall on the ABS sensors themselves they corrode and then cant read the speed correctly, usually acts up worse at lowers speeds. You could take the sensors out and clean them real good or replace with new ones that shouldn't corrode like the originals had. And yes when the abs is activated to stop tire lockup it will sound like the pedal is grinding, and the pedal will push back. GM has mode the abs quieter as the years have went.
+7
Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 12:01 PM