Idle problem

CHIP
  • 2001 CHEVROLET S-10
2001 S-10 4WD Sometime when you stop it idles up and down and dies, not always! Sometime it shakes even at hiway speeds, it even died yesterday going 70 mph. It always starts right back up and if I give it a little gas seems to be ok for a while? Suggestions?
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 9:14 PM

SAMTHEMAN
Are there any trouble codes, if there are get a scanner tool(autozone lets you use theirs for free!) And read the codes.

If not, this sounds either like a bad Throttle Position Sensor or a Idle Air Control Valve.

Before doing that, check your air filter, it could be dirty, as well as your MAF sensor(Mass Air Flow). To clean your MAF sensor do a quick google search. It is easy and simple, probably only ten minutes of your time.

Also, if you are good with cars then try testing the plug wires. Set the multimeter to ohms and read it. It is usually 3-5k ohms per foot. If there is not resistance showing up then it is definitly a bad plug wire. While you do that check your plugs.

If none of these seem to help, I recommend calling local mechanics to see if they can diagnose what is wrong with your car. Most places will do it for free if they dont use any equipment. Others may charge $75 an hour for labor.

Hope this Helps!
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 9:23 PM
Do the enginescan thing if your service engine light is on. Take your air duct off and take choke cleaner and spray the throttle plate on both sides, they getgummed up with oil and stick. Check for vacuum leaks andcheck your fuel pressure it shold be 60-66psi. If it's low and you change the fuel pump change th filter as well.
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 1:55 AM