Intermittent driver side power window

DBARN
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
The driver side switch is intermittent going up (only). I took the switch out and took it apart, 3 or the 4 contacts inside the switch are black, one looks perfectly clean. Any idea what the black material is. Will try some contact cleaner and reassemble it. Just wondering what the black stuff is and if it should be there.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 2:17 PM

M_H_RITZEL
Sometimes the switch can get water or other liquids in the switch inside making it so it makes contacts at times and other times not. Happened to my wifes Pontiac firebird I spilled coffee on it and after a while it stopped working Finally I had to replace the switch completly. Try cleaning it out with contact cleaner first and clean the contacts as much as possible.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 2:31 PM
KHLOW2008
That should most likely be contaminations or grease that had turned black due to arcing. It the materials are hard, it should be melted plastic.

Cleaning the swytch and ensuring the contacts are good shold do the trick.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 2:32 PM
DBARN
Cleaned up well, put back together, re-flowed solder joints and reinstalled it. Still the same thing. Any suggestions on how to tell if it is something in the switch or window motor?
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 3:09 PM
KHLOW2008
See if the following helps.

TEST C: LEFT FRONT POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE

1. Disconnect left front power window motor harness connector. It may be necessary to remove door trim panel for access to power window motor harness connector.

2. Connect a test light between ground and left front power window motor harness connector Dark Blue wire terminal. Operate left front power window motor to up position. If test light illuminates, go to next step. If test light does not illuminate, go to step 4.

3. Connect a test light between left front power window motor harness connector Dark Blue wire and Brown wire terminals. Operate left front power window motor to down position. If test light illuminates, go to step 6. If test light does not illuminate, go to step 5.

4. Check for open in Dark Blue wire between left front power window motor and master window switch. Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 10. If no problem is found, go to step 7.

5. Check for open in Brown wire between left front power window motor and master window switch. Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 10. If no problem is found, go to step 7.

6. Check for poor connections at left front power window motor harness connector. Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 10. If no problem is found, go to step 8.

7. Check for poor connections at master switch assembly harness connector. Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 10. If no problem is found, go to step 10.

8. Replace left front window motor. After repair, go to step 10.

9. Replace master switch assembly. After repair, go to step 10.

10. Operate system to verify repairs. If system does not operate properly, go to step 1. If system operates properly, system is okay.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 3:35 PM
DBARN
Motor was good, problem was that one of the internal switch contacts was slightly bend from repeated use of the auto down function. Flattened out the contact, reinstalled the switch and door panel and it works great!
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 6:44 PM
KHLOW2008
Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 6:51 PM