2001 Chevy Impala car won't start

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
2001 Chevy Impala mileage: 68,000. My car won't start on the first try, it takes at least three to four times before it will start. It tries to catch and kind of sputters out, when it does finally start it seems almost to lapse and then surge. I am not sure if that makes sense, but I don't know how else to explain it. My husband has replaced the plugs and wires, we have also taken it to be serviced at the dealership; they could not find anything wrong with it. We are at a loss on what it could be and I am desperately wanting to fix this problem, it's making me crazy!
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 7:37 PM

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
We are making an assumption here that your dealership scanned for stored fault codes and found none. Your "hard-starting" problem may be caused by the fuel lines draining back into the tank when the car sits for awhile. This can be verified by temporarily installing a fuel pressure gauge and watching the pressure after the engine is shut off. The problem may be a fuel pressure regulator or a check valve by the fuel pump. TIP: Before you start your car, turn the key to the on and off position several times without starting your car This will cycle the fuel pump which will pressurize the fuel delivery system.
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 AT 7:38 PM
DWK5023
Hey, the same thing happens to my 05' Chevy Impala Base 3.4L (150k miles) time to time. Usually when the engine is hot. I took it to get an oil change yesterday and the car would not start. The battery was replaced two days ago so that could be ruled out. Plugs were done a few weeks ago. They checked to see if the fuel pump was kicking on and it was. The engine was cranking and seemed as though it was about to fire up and it would just die. The mechanic held down the throttle when I turned the key and it would run until he let off the throttle and it would just shut down. It really had him confused as to what it was. I've read alot of people have been having this problem. Could it be a gasket that is leaking air or something or maybe something to do with the compression? I sat there for about an hour of trying and then tried it again and it fired right up. Talk about craziness.I think once the engine cools it's fine. Also once it is started it never dies, even when it is idling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 7:07 PM