2001 Chevy Cavalier Stalls.

GEMINIJO87
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My 2001 Chevy Cavalier will shut off for no reason while driving. I will be driving and the trac off light will come on and then the car will stall out as I slow down or it will sputter and eventually stop. Other times it's like it loses power and starts to slow down and than my check engine light also comes on. If I shut the car off and turn it back on it starts up just fine and sometimes I can drive away just fine, and other times it can happen again within a few minutes. I recently replaced my alternator and the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 4:09 AM

VDUB98
Have you tried checking what engine codes u got?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 4:29 AM
GEMINIJO87
I don't know how to do that. And if you need a machine to figure the codes out. :/ I really don't want to take it in to the mechanic if I don't have to if it's something easy I can fix (college kid=broke kid)
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 4:57 AM
VDUB98
You don't need to take it to a mechanic. Oreilly Shucks or Napa will check it for free.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:00 AM
VDUB98
Have you done a tune up to it?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:03 AM
GEMINIJO87
Yeah everything was fine with it yesterday. It happened a few times today and I called my dad who said since my alternator probably drained the old battery so bad and it was probably the original that if I got a new battery I should be ok. So I got the battery from O'Reilly's and it seemed fine and when I left work tonight it started doing it again.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:10 AM
GEMINIJO87
And I do appreciate you trying to help vdub98. I know a little about cars but this is new for me. I mean I was the one who changed my own alternator and battery by myself. So I'm not a total girly-girl when it comes to cars but this has me mystified. :/
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:12 AM
VDUB98
No problem. So, did you put in a new alternator?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:14 AM
GEMINIJO87
Yeah alternator is new as of like 2-3 weeks ago. Battery is new as of today. Hence why I'm confused.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:15 AM
VDUB98
Oh ok. Yeah when it comes to electrical, it gets very confusing. That happened to me alot with my VW. Lol. Is the battery is dead again?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:21 AM
GEMINIJO87
No. Or I should say it shouldn't be considering it's brand new as of today. But you say O'Reilly's should be able to test it and help me figure out what's wrong (codes), etc?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:24 AM
VDUB98
When a car stalls. It means a bunch of things from the fuel system to an electrical component from the engine. But, if you can. Try to see if you can find out that the codes are. It will be alot easier to see what is wrong.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:28 AM
GEMINIJO87
Great. :/ I hope it's simple or I'm screwed. I can't afford to pay anyone to fix it. :/ Best case scenario would be?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:35 AM
VDUB98
Well, it shouldn't be that bad. It could be a faulty sensor. If you do get the codes, just let met know and I can help.
Another thing that you can do, is check the idle air control valve. Because it will get gunked up over time and cause idling and stalling issues. Most can be removed and cleaned with wd-40 or throttle body cleaner. A carbon fouled throttle body can cause poor idling and stalling as well.
Thats something cheap that you can do for now. :)
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:46 AM
GEMINIJO87
Ok I'll get the codes as soon as I can tomorrow. I don't know about you but for me it would be easier to chat via email since I can send it from my cell phone. What works best for you?
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:49 AM
VDUB98
Yeah. Email would be good. Everytime I come on here, it tells me that I need to sign in.
Feel free to email me at volcom775@hotmail. Com
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 5:55 AM
GEMINIJO87
Ok thanks. I'll let you know. :)
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 6:01 AM
ANGEL A
Did you figure out the problem I have the same issue and I am in the same situation as you. I am also a broke college kid but I desperately need to fix this issue):
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 AT 7:55 PM