Motor

JIMALS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 2001 s10 blaser with a 4.3L.I can start it, run to the mall (7 miles), shut it off. Come out an hour later and it will turn over, but it will not start. I have to wait at least 3 hours before it will start again. What could be the problem?
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 8:34 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
+1
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 8:40 PM
JIMALS
Thank You Wrenchtech, went to a local mechanic and he told me the fuel pressure was low, so he said it needed a fuel pump and sending unit. I just replaced this 4 years ago, and I know I have not put over 20,000 miles on it since. Anyway thanks for the help. - Jim
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 10:28 PM
WRENCHTECH
GM has a lot of problems with fuel pumps and there are many substandard quality pumps for sale out there. I would recommend staying with only "Delco" brand pumps.
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 10:30 PM