HOW DO I DETERMINE THE CAMSHAFT TIMING MARKS FOR A 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY CE SEDAN 2.2 LITER, SFE ENGINE?
2000 TOYOTA CAMRY
I am trying to figure out what the timing marks are, I have been unable to find anything online.
have the same problem?
Saturday, May 5th, 2012 AT 4:45 PM
1. Install No. 2 idler pulley (if removed). Install and tighten bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Ensure idler pulley is clean and rotates smoothly.
2. Install No. 1 idler pulley and tension spring (if removed). Pry No. 1 idler pulley away from timing belt area as far as possible. Temporarily tighten No. 1 idler pulley bolt. Ensure idler pulley is clean and rotates
3. Using crankshaft pulley bolt, rotate crankshaft so timing mark on crankshaft sprocket aligns with timing mark on oil pump housing. See Fig. 4. This will position keyway in crankshaft sprocket at 12 o'clock
CAUTION: If reusing timing belt, ensure reference marks on timing belt align with reference marks placed on crankshaft and camshaft sprockets. Ensure timing
belt is installed in original direction of rotation.
4. Ensure all sprockets and idler pulleys are clean. Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket, No. 1 idler pulley, and then No. 2 idler pulley in sequence.
5. Install timing belt guide with cupped side away from crankshaft sprocket and flat side toward timing belt. Install No. 1 timing belt cover and new gasket.
6. Align crankshaft pulley key groove with key in crankshaft. Install crankshaft pulley. Install and tighten crankshaft pulley bolt to specification.
7. Rotate crankshaft clockwise so cylinder No. 1 is at TDC on compression stroke. Ensure timing mark on crankshaft pulley aligns with "0" mark on No. 1 timing belt cover. If reusing timing belt, ensure reference
mark on timing belt aligns with upper edge of No. 1 timing belt cover.
8. Rotate camshaft, and align hole in camshaft sprocket with alignment mark on camshaft bearing cap. See Fig. 2. Install timing belt on camshaft sprocket. If reusing timing belt, ensure reference mark on timing belt
aligns with the reference mark on camshaft sprocket. Ensure tension exists on timing belt between the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets.
CAUTION: DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise, as viewed from timing belt end of engine.
9. Loosen No. 1 idler pulley bolt 1/2 turn. Rotate crankshaft pulley 2 full revolutions clockwise from TDC to TDC.
10. Ensure timing mark on crankshaft pulley aligns with "0" mark on No. 1 timing belt cover, and hole in camshaft sprocket aligns with alignment mark on camshaft bearing cap. See Fig. 2. If timing marks are not
aligned, remove timing belt and reinstall.
11. Rotate crankshaft clockwise 1 and 7/8 revolutions and align crankshaft pulley "0" mark with 45 degree Before Top Dead Center (BTDC) mark on No. 1 timing belt cover. See Fig. 5.
12. Tighten No. 1 idler pulley bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Install No. 2 timing belt cover and gaskets. Install and tighten spark plugs to specification.
13. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Install all bolts/nuts on right (timing belt side) engine mount before tightening to specification.
14. On Camry, when installing control rod and bracket on strut tower and right (timing belt side engine mount, tighten bolts to specification in sequence. See Fig. 6. On MR2, tighten engine mount bolts in correct
locations. See Fig. 7. Adjust drive belts to proper tension.