Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | |">Help 2CARPROS COM INC
2CARPROS COM IN00007
Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:
2000 Saturn SL2 L4-1.9L DOHC VIN 7
Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Oil Pan Technical Service Bulletins Engine - Oil Pan Difficult to Remove Service Procedure
CAUTION :MAKE SURE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED AND SQUARELY POSITIONED. TO HELP AVOID PERSONAL INJURY WHEN A VEHICLE IS ON A HOIST PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE VEHICLE ON THE OPPOSITE END FROM WHICH COMPONENTS ARE BEING REMOVED. MAKE SURE HOIST DOES NOT CONTACT FUEL OR BRAKE LINES.
1. Remove accessory drive belt from crankshaft pulley.
2. Raise vehicle squarely on a lift.
3. Remove right wheel and tire assembly. (Refer to "Wheel" removal procedure in the Alignment Wheels & Tires section of the 2000-2001 S-Series Chassis Service Manual.)
4. Remove splash shield.
5. Remove crankshaft balancer.
6. Remove engine strut bracket.
7. Remove front exhaust pipe. (Refer to "Front Exhaust Pipe and Catalytic Converter" removal procedure in the Exhaust section of the 2000-2001 S-Series Engine Service Manual.)
8. Remove engine stiffening bracket and transaxle inspection cover.
9. Drain engine oil.
10. Remove oil pan bolts and remove oil pan from engine.
IMPORTANT :Do not attempt to straighten or reuse the original oil pan. Replace the original oil pan with the new design.
11. When attempting to install the new oil pan P/N 21015428, minimal interference condition is likely to exist between the oil pan rail, flywheel and crankshaft bearing tie plate. To eliminate this condition, use a metal hand file to remove a small amount of material near the rear bolt hole of the oil pan. Refer to illustrations at left, for specific area of oil pan to modify.
NOTICE :Do not use an air driven grinder or other motorized tool. Removal of too much material may result in an oil pan leak.
12. File oil pan at area indicated in illustrations. Remove approximately 0.5 mm (.020 in.) Of material.
IMPORTANT :The final filed edge of the oil pan will appear as shown in the illustration.
13. Make sure the oil pan surface is free of cured RTV and cleaned with a chlorinated solvent, such as carburetor spray cleaner, brake clean, or alcohol Saturn P/N 21007432 (or equivalent).
IMPORTANT :Minimal c]earance exists between the oil pan, crankshaft bearing tie plate and flywheel. Therefore, it is recommended that a trial assembly be performed without RTV prior to final assembly with RTV.
IMPORTANT :Assemble while the RTV is still wet (within three minutes). Do not wait for the RTV to skin over.
14. Apply a 4.0 mm (0.160 in.) Bead of RTV in the oil pan groove, routing the RTV bead toward the inside of all bolt holes.
15. Install oil pan assembly by first positioning rear corner of oil pan (exhaust side) into flywheel hub and raise rear section of oil pan to engine block, then rotate front of oil pan to final assembled position.