Wont crank

TIMOTHYB0777
  • 2000 SATURN SL1
Have a 2000 saturn sl1 car has 79000 miles drove to get gas then to store came out wont start or crank. Headlights are bright, stay bright when I turn the key. I think it may be the starter. Wasnt able to tap on it. Hard to reach without the car lifted. If not the starter what else could it be?
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 12:59 PM

WRENCHTECH
Is it a manual trans or auto?
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 1:03 PM
TIMOTHYB0777
Automatic
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 1:08 PM
TIMOTHYB0777
Also the car runs great oil change about a 1000 miles ago started up every turn. There was on one occasion this winter when I went to start it and it acted like a low battery slowly cranked the I tried the start again and it fired right up. Didnt happen after that one time.
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 1:16 PM
WRENCHTECH
It can be a problem with the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, the starter or the wiring. Test for power arriving at the purple wire at the starter when the key is held in "start" position.
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 1:19 PM
TIMOTHYB0777
Where is the nuetral safety switch located?
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 1:35 PM
WRENCHTECH
That should be mounted on the transmission, right at the shifting lever.
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 1:42 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one it's most likely the starter really common on that car. If you remove the air cleaner snorkle you can reach the starter to test for power with a test light to the purple wire with the key in the start position. But my money is on the starter I have replaced a lot of them on that car.
Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 5:10 PM
TIMOTHYB0777
Wanted to think ya for the help and let you know that it was the starter. Replaced starter and it fired right up. Advanced auto parts tested the old starter and it was fine, so they say. I Have a Pontiac they tested that started and said it was fine also, turns out that advanced auto doesnt check the bendix on the starter. Bendix on both starters were worn down. Both cars fired up w/ new starter. For those who dont know what the bendix is its that little gear on the starter that engages and turns the flywheel.
Friday, April 15th, 2011 AT 2:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
The solenoid also sends the power thru the start windings. What happens is the auto parts store test the starter cold so it tests good. Most of the time when the solenoid fails is when the starter is hot that is why it tests good at the parts store. Glad to hear you got it all figured out. But the best way to check the starter is when there hot and the starter is inop then you see if you have power to the trigger wire when the key is in the start position.
Friday, April 15th, 2011 AT 4:39 PM