THE CAR STALLED AND THE BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON ...

• Anonymous
  • 2000 Saturn SL1

The car stalled and the battery light came on when it died. After a few minutes it restarted and then stalled again after a minute or two. The car battery died and I knew it was going bad because the oil service company we take the car to load checks the battery and said it was down to 400 amp's and is rated for 500 amp's. I replaced the battery and alternator which if this wasn't the problem they needed to be replaced anyway (100000 miles on the original alternator it's about done). My wife took the car out and it stalled again. It started right up in neutral and runs fine but die's in drive after a minute or two. Both times the car died it did it right after we turned on the heater and the radio. What puzzles me is the battery light comes on just before the car dies like it's out of power. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 AT 12:59 AM

• saturntech9

What does the voltage read at the battery at idle?I have 228,000 miles my 1999 saturn sl2 alternator and counting.

Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 AT 2:46 AM