Code P0732

XDISASTROYX
  • 2000 SATURN SL1
P0732 engine code. Is this a problem with the valve body or is there more I need to do?

it does not have reverse and no other codes are present. Just the one code p0732. A mechanic says if he replaces valve body it will fix problem. Is this true?
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

KHLOW2008
P0732 = No second gear.

You mentioned no reverse but the code indicates second gear is not working.

It could be the valve body or clutches. Ask the mechanic if replacing the valve body does not fix the problem what would he do? Is there any warranty on the job?
+1
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:09 PM
XDISASTROYX
What I was thinking is that it was something simpler than valve body and they are trying to make the most out of job since second and reverse use same solenoid in valve body.
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:52 PM
SATURNTECH9
Here is something else you have to think about second and reverse use the same clutch pack and clutch piston also. On that late model of a S model Saturn I have seen a loose input shaft nut cause a no reverse on a lot of them. But the P0732 would go with a no reverse code if you loose second you would loose reverse. How did the guy figure out a bad valve body is causing the no reverse? I would buzz all the transmission valve body actuator's do a high and low line pressure reading and do a step pressure test. That will test the pump and the ability for the valve body to control the pressure. Also, I would make sure the input shaft nut is tight. I would also air check all the clutch pack's in the transmission including the reverse servo piston that will check the internals of the transmission for leak's.
+3
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
XDISASTROYX
It was put on diagnostic machine and this is what he told me.
-1
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 6:47 PM
SATURNTECH9
What kind of diagnostic machine? A scanner on your obd2 connector? Did he just read the code's and say it need's a valve body?
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 7:23 PM
XDISASTROYX
I cannot believe that no one out there had the same thing go on with their vehicle and already had fixed and will not just tell what the problem was so I can move on already and either get fixed or take somewhere else where I can tell them what I want done and that is it. I cannot stand when I ask a question and all I get back are more questions. I do not know how or why the mechanic told me what he did that is why I came on this site to get clarity if the valve body gets replaced with the p0732 code and no reverse or into reverse with delay is it a good idea to have valve body replaced since it holds all solenoids or should the input and output shaft nuts be tightened. Please let me know.
-2
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 7:53 PM
SATURNTECH9
I have worked for Saturn for over sixteen years. I am a factory trained Saturn tech you have a transmission problem even if I was there to see and drive the car I still could not tell you what is wrong with the transmission until I did some testing like air checking, the clutches pressure test's etc. I would have to physically check the input shaft nut to see if it is loose there is no way of telling it is loose without checking it that I know of. I have to ask question's as I did not talk to the guy that told you need a valve body or how he figured out that he did. I can tell you this if he did not pull off the valve body and air check the clutches how would he know if your second clutch piston is holding pressure which is also the clutch for reverse since reverse does not have its own clutch pack it share's it with second gear. I have not seen a bad valve body cause no reverse. I have seen a loose input shaft nut cause that and a leaking second gear clutch piston cause it. There is no cure all for a code p0732 you read about someone else that had that code and do the same thing he did to repair it does not mean it will fix your car too. You asked a question that does not have a direct answer without doing some diagnostics first. So to get mad because I did not just say sure whatever replace the valve body and hopefully that fixes your car and it did not, would make you a whole lot madder. I can tell you what need's to be checked to get a proper diagnoses and with the proper answer's to those thing's I asked to be checked then I could come up with a diagnoses to what is wrong with your car. Your expecting way too much from asking a question online about a transmission problem and getting all mad when someone asks for a answer to some question's about how the guy figured out it needed a valve body. I am here to give you a honest answer as to what is going on with your car and try to keep you from getting ripped off or spend money you do not need to spend. So the ball is in your court as to what you want to do. I am here to help you if you need me.
+6
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
XDISASTROYX
Well, I guess I am just going to have to let mechanic use my vehicle as his parts dart board and hopefully he gets a bulls-eye. Thanks anyway the car is only has book value of $800.00 and I am going to have to spend over $2,000.00 to repair.
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 8:59 PM
XDISASTROYX
The funniest thing about your statement is that you said the code is not because of only one thing, but all the stuff you named that could be wrong have their own codes. So if I am not getting any of the codes for the things you named then why and how could they be one of the problems?
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 9:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
I am not going to argue with you, but I will leave you with this. I mentioned a leaking second gear clutch piston that would cause a code p0732 and cause no reverse because they share that clutch piston and clutch pack. A valve body issue could effect the pressure's which could set a code p0732, but I have not seen that cause no reverse. I have seen that cause a delay and bang into reverse. You could have more then one problem. I have seen that a bad valve body and a loose input shaft a loose nut can cause a no reverse. I never said to let anyone use your car as a part's dart board. If that is what the guy is going to do I would take it somewhere else. You need to ask more question's like how that guy figured out it was a bad valve body. That is how you keep your car from being a part's dart board. Also, be a better listener when I write you replies to what could be going on with your car instead of picking it apart. Because I know what I am talking about especially when it come's to Saturn's I devoted over sixteen years of my life to find way's to fix them the best way I could. I'm here for you and on your side I do not want to see you spend money you do not have on repair's you do not need. So if you work with me and not to try to work against me I can help you. Start by finding out why that guy said you need a valve body and what he did to come to that diagnoses.
+3
Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 9:25 PM