OVERHEATING WHAT CAN BE THE PROBLEM

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

pstazy006

August, 26, 2011 AT 6:11 PM

My car is overheating all the time. Goes straight up to HOT temp and shuts off automatically when driving it. Have tried replacint thermostat, waterpump, radiator, fans are working. Checked for any leaks and there are none. Even replaced senor. What can be the problem? Help.

August, 26, 2011 AT 6:18 PM

Where applicable, if it gets too hot, it will pop the radiator cap to release pressure and the coolant reservoir will fill-up in a hurry. Is the reservoir filling up? I haven't looked to see if you even have a radiator cap.

Any applicable trouble codes? Check oil pressure.

pstazy006

August, 26, 2011 AT 6:31 PM

Sometimes. I do have a radiator cap. Oil pressure is fine. When I took out the thermostat it seemed to run fine. It stopped overheating. Will It damage my car if I continue to drive without thermostat?

August, 26, 2011 AT 6:34 PM

You can take the thermostat out, just for testing, hook the hoses back up. With cross-flow radiator, drain the cooloant down till you see the top couple of passages, where possible. When you start the engine, flow is instant, if no flow, something is clogged-up.

Is the engine siezing when it stalls?

August, 26, 2011 AT 6:48 PM

If you leave the thermostat out, at the least, it will burn more gas, take longer to reach operating temp. May or may not set a code? In degrees F, how hot is it getting?

texas7

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:20 AM

Mine does almost the same except I go through lots of coolant and see no leaks and no water in the oil. What could that mean?

March, 26, 2012 AT 3:09 PM

You need to make a new post, that way, everybody will see it. Piggybacking your post is not a good way to do it.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage