Battery draw down

CLEO MCALEXANDER
  • 2000 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
2000 Bonneville battery Draw down problem. Proper New battery (same as original)( installed two months ago. There is something drawing down the battery to the point that it must be jump started after over night. Some problems are the "security" light flashes and the chimes will ring while driving down the road. Entrance lights will not come on when the door is opened. Then again the lights will come on when the door is opened. One other problem is the trunk will not open when the "in glove box" switch is activated.

What do you think could be the problem and what must be done to correct the problem?

Thanks!
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 3:43 PM

DR LOOT
So the first thing we need to do is check fuses to "in glove box" switch. Also fuse to the interior lights.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 1:45 AM
CLEO MCALEXANDER
The fuses were ok. The problem appears to be much larger. When the security alarm activates while just driving down the road and the heater will turn itself on (failed to mention in original message) it must be a major computer problem. There has been some theory that my problem could be a bad ignition switch. I have heard horror stories of the main computers going bad. Does any of this make any sense?
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 3:16 AM
DR LOOT
Yes and no, we need to start over, check your battery cables make sure they're clean and tight, as you are cleaned them make sure you remove the black residue on the battery posts and the cables.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 4:38 PM
CLEO MCALEXANDER
Again, the battery cables are nice and clean as of two months ago when a new battery was installed. Its been pretty well established by an independent garage mechanic that the problem is within the computer system. He doesn't have the dealership required codes in order to break into the security part of the computer. Another concern of which I would like more opinions: Assuming the problem is a computer module of some sort which will probably cost a few hundred, then how likely will I experience more computer problems? After all the car is 10 years old with 200,000 miles and I am trying to determine at what point would it be more cost effective to try and buy another car.
-2
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 9:08 PM