2000 Mercury Sable check engine light is on.

SUSIEWILSON
  • 2000 MERCURY SABLE
Light on. The car acts like it w. Ants to die (cutting out). Thenluke under hood it sounds like a vacuumn leak idont know what else to say. If you could please help me I would donate but I have no money on my card and I don't get paid till the 3rd
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 9:52 AM

What light is on? Battery light? Check Engine light? Low oil pressure light? Temperature light? Have you actually looked for a vacuum leak? At what speeds does the engine problem act up? Does it do it all the time or just under certain conditions?
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 10:24 AM
SUSIEWILSON
I said in title it was check engine light. I looked for vacuuming leak but I couldn't find one. It acts like it wants to cut out at all speeds
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 11:24 AM
Once the Check Engine light turns on there will be a diagnostic fault code stored in the Engine Computer. Many auto parts stores will read them for you for free. Those will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis.

You can get an idea of the cause of cutting out by how it acts. If you're losing spark to one cylinder you'll feel the misfire but the engine will stay running. If you're losing spark to all cylinders the engine will stop and start quickly as in turning a switch on and off. If it's a fuel-related problem the engine will lose and regain power gradually. That can happen in fractions of a second but it feels different than when losing spark.

You may need to have a mechanic attach a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to see if that's the cause of the cutting out. If low fuel pressure is found the likely cause would be a plugged pickup screen in the gas tank or possibly a plugged fuel filter. You'll get a clue from the stored fault code. The fuel supply system is not monitored so the fault code(s) won't make reference to that but they may be related to the results of that low pressure.
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 11:42 AM
SUSIEWILSON
Thank you for helping me. I called a parts store and they do or for free.I have to wait till my daughter gets off and have her followed
I will let you know what they say
Thank :you so much. Susie
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 2:02 PM