Geabox trouble - slave cylinder failure

ERNIEBILKO
  • 2000 MAZDA MX5
Hello. Two weeks ago a garage repaired the seal within the gearbox of my Mazda MX-5 (2000 X-reg) because there was a sealant leak. This cost £170. On Sunday, my gearbox stopped working. I was unable to select any gear whilst the engine was switched on but could when it was off. The same garage has told me that the slave cylinder needs replacing and also clutch oil needs replenishing. They want £360 for this. I'd like to know whether their repair could have caused this failure or if not, should they have picked up this fault when doing the repair.
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 8:41 AM

FIXITMR
Are you on a budget? Might want to check out another garage? The genuine part is about 55 pounds. Usually not difficult to replace. Should they have caught it? Maybe? Be nice find a garage that alert to possible problems. It must have been leaking some when they did the other work in same area of car. If they actually removed the trans/slave to fix other problem they may have caused the new problem themselves!
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 9:03 AM