Recently I got into an accident and messed up my.

AKYASINI
  • 2000 LEXUS ES
Recently I got into an accident and messed up my pretty 2000 es300 but I have ordered all the parts I need and gave it to the body shop that is fixing it right now. However, the body shop called me yesterday and said the headlamp that I ordered won't work because it is not HID. Apparently HID have a small box type casing at the end and I need that for the light to fit in the spot. Is that true? HID lights go for 500 when a projector one goes for around 150. I would rather buy 2 of those than one of the HID ones. I would really appreciate some help on this because I kind of feel like I am being cheated but he may be right. Idk. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 5:56 PM

I never heard of anyone buying their own parts, then asking a body shop to do the work. That's like taking your own food to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you. All repair shops buy parts and mark them up to cover the costs of getting them ordered and delivered, and that tiny profit helps to defray the costs of reordering the right parts or those that got damaged. In effect you made them do part of their job for free. No one else works for free. A lot of shop owners will try to help you out by doing things like installing parts you supply but if they are incorrect or defective they have no obligation to go through the work and expense of getting the right ones. They may have to push your car to the side while they're waiting for you to get the right parts so they can work on other peoples' cars.

As for the headlight issue, of course the housings are going to be different if they need to mount different kinds of bulbs. How can you think you're being cheated if they simply said you ordered the wrong part? They are not profiting in any way because you will get the first housing back if they don't use it. It's yours and you're stuck with it. Now you are incurring some of their costs of doing business. There are some cars where you can take out the really expensive HID headlights which are a major safety hazard to other drivers and put in standard halogen assemblies. Besides the housings, the bulbs are outrageously expensive as are the ballasts that run them, and both are high-failure items. Someone will have to rewire the car to bypass the ballasts. That's a cost you will have to cover but it will likely be less than the cost of a $500.00 headlight housing.
Thursday, April 4th, 2013 AT 7:00 PM