KEY IS STUCK IN IGNITION AND WON'T BUDGE

2000 GMC Sierra

go88godj

April, 21, 2012 AT 2:03 PM

It is stuck in the start mode. We removed the starter and ignition fuses and removed the battery cuz it won't turn off. What can I do

My daughter started the truck and the ignition is stuck in the start mode. The key will not budge.

The starter turning and so w remove the fuses for the ignition and the starter and disconnected the battery so it would not catch fire. How do I get the key out and keep his from happening again?

mhpautos

April, 21, 2012 AT 3:07 PM

Probably a collapsed ignition key barrel, if the key will not turn this is normally the cause.

maynardman

May, 6, 2012 AT 3:40 PM

I had a 2000 silverado that the key stuck on. But mine stuck in the accessory position.I got the key to turn by removing the passlock cable that is attatched to the ignition cylinder housing. You have to remove the column trim and the cable should enter from the bottom of the housing. Once you get the cylinder back to the off position, leave the passlock cable out, turn the key forward too the on position, and depress the locking pin on top of the housing as you turn the key back to the off position. The cylinder should come out at this point.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011