Hood won't latch shut

JEFF43614
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Hood won't stay latched. Tried WD40 like other websites suggested and that didn't work. Large tight spring is not broken as other sites suggested. While taking the assembly apart, I noticed a small spring that is 1-1/4" tall with a small hook on it (picture enclosed)sticking up from the body? Of the car. I noticed the hook on top was not hooked to anything but the closest thing was the cable. Two questions: 1) was this spring my initial problem? Because it wasn't attached to anything, was it not allowing another part to work properly and thus lock my hood? And 2) since it appears it was attached to the body of the car somehow, can it be replaced?

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 7:18 PM

RIVERMIKERAT

It is probably the return spring for the release cable.

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 7:36 PM
JEFF43614

Doesn't answer either question. Anyone one else?

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM
CADIEMAN

These are parts of the hood latch. Youll need to replace the latch assy. Jeff

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 9:21 PM
JEFF43614

The little spring appears to be attached to the body of the car and not the latch assembly. It's a very thin spring that I can pull apart with my fingers. It is NOT the large heavy spring on the latch itself. I think the comment above from rivermikerat sounds correct. Were you able to view the picture of the return spring for the release cable? It really does appear that it was attached to the body of the car. I'm hoping not because the piecve it was mounted to was part of the front end of the car. I'm not doubting your knowledge but it's the difference between spending $30 and spending 99 cents.

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 11:47 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

The only pictures visible are of the broken spring and clip. IS there a return spring presently on the release lever at the end of the latch release cable?

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 8:05 AM
JEFF43614

Mike: Let me take a picture tonight. That may help clear things up.

-1
Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 3:55 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Ok. I'll be here.

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 9:04 PM
JEFF43614

I'll try to download the picture from my phone tomorrow while at work and someone can help me. The only spring is the one that has alot of tension in it and it's encased in plastic. It's running horizontally as you look down.

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 1:12 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Ok. I downloaded the image you attached at first of the spring and clip and drew an arrow on it. If you look at where the arrow is pointed at, you'll see that this spring is broken. That may be your problem. Where was that clip attached?

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 1:49 AM
CADIEMAN

This thread is so re****ulas. GO BUY A NEW LATCH AND INSTALL IT. This is no magor part. Im done ty for using 2carpros

-1
Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
JEFF43614

That's what I did. Bought a new latch. I took the car to a Ford Dealership today and they said the little spring didn't belong where I found it. I came off the latch and they brought a new latch out and showed me where it went. I bought a new one on the internet and plan on installing it this weekend. $40 including shipping, handling and tax. Now I would like to find the instructions to install it since I doubt they come with it. I'm only worried about installing the release cable to the new latch and not the latch itself. I'm hoping I can use my currently-installed cable.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 1:27 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

You can use the old cable. The latch should just be bolted in. Not hard to remove or replace.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 3:53 AM
JEFF43614

Thanks Rivermike.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 3:05 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

My pleasure Jeff. Tell your friends about us!

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 7:30 PM
JEFF43614

Absolutely. I just found this site and will be visiting it often. You guys are quick and accurate in your responses and I appreciate the assistance.

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 1:25 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

It's our pleasure.

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 1:42 AM

I MIGHT AS WELL JUMP IN!

WHEN I GET STUMPED ON STUFF LIKE THIS

I FIND ANOTHER---USED CAR LOT---WALMART--CONVENIENCE STORE, WHERE EVER! (MIGHT TAKE AWHILE FOR THE WALMART GUY TO COME OUT) BUT JUST ASK TO SEE THE ASSEMBLY, 'ROUND HERE, PEOPLE ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP.

ONE THING I WOULD RECOMMEND----DON'T GET 'ER OVER 10 MPH (OR EVEN THAT) NOTHING LIKE A HOOD FOLDED BACK OVER THE WINDSHIELD, OR A NEW HOOD AND WINDSHIELD.

IN THE CASE I'M MOST FAMILIAR WITH, THAT PRICELESS LOOK ON MY FRIENDS FACE (MINE TOO! HUMAN INSTINCT IS TO LOOK AT EACH OTHER 1ST, BEFORE YOU FROLIC INTO ETERNITY. OR NOT) WHEN SUDDENLY, THAT "LOUD GUT WRENCHING RACKET" AT 55 MPH AND THEN YOU JUST CAN'T SEE NUTHIN' IN FRONT OF YOU!

GOOD LUCK SIR

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 6:04 AM