COILS VS SPARK PLUGS

2000 Ford Taurus

emschafer1975

August, 23, 2013 AT 1:00 PM

Car is idling high and sputters between 20-40mph, like it has no power. Put it on the auto zone diagnostic machine, it said cylinders 2 & 6 are misfiring so the guy said to change out the spark plugs. Now, the guy who sold me the car said he changed 4 of the 6 coils b4 I bought it. I told him what auto zone said, and he said he already changed the plugs and that he will go ahead and change out the remaining 2 coils. WILL THIS SOLVE THE PROBLEM? Cuz the auto zone guy didn't say anything about changing the coils. Im trying to get to the root of the problem which is the high idle and the catalytic converter overheating

mhpautos

August, 24, 2013 AT 6:45 AM

Change the plugs and coils of any suspect cylinder, it sounds like an ignition failure, may be do a code clear and drive and re scan and see if you get a specific cylinder misfire code.

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230