Acceleration/steering

FATMANNPIE
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2000 Taurus se, 3.0L, FWD, 126000 miles, automatic. When I accelerate rapidly then let off the gas completely, the car drifts to the right for about 2 seconds as if I have lost control of the steering, then everything goes back to normal. This happens when I let off at 30, 40 5, 60 mph but is more pronounced the faster you are going. If I start out slowly and build up to any speed then let off the gas then nothng happens. What is this?
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 5:07 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
The first thing that comes to mind is the power steering pressure switch.
However, there are a few other possiblities.
Let me know the following;

Does the car shake at any speed?
Are the tires good and have they been balanced?
When was the last time the suspension was aligned?

When you turn the car in a slow u-turn, does anything make noise or feel odd?

Does the car do anything at slower speeds that does not feel or sound normal to you?
Have you been in any accidents or had any service done to the car recently?

I think you are probably in need of replacing the pressure switch, but the loss of control is a concern.
Let me know and I will replay ASAP.
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 5:27 PM
FATMANNPIE
The car is new to me (2 weeks). Since then I have had oil change, brakes looked at ( good), tires balanced (they were way off) aligned ( front right was way off and left rear was a little off).I feel/hear nothing unusual in a slow uturn. There may be a slight vibration inthe steering at slow speeds and braking, kind of hard to tell. There is a definite whine when you turn the steering whell but I can only hear it at very slow speed, as in pulling out of driveway.
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 5:51 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
The whineing noise is problematic of either the power steering pump fluid being low, the pump belt being loose and slipping on its' pulley, or the pump ityself going bad.

Check the power steering fluid and let me know if it looks burnt or anything other than either a oil looking or red oily fluid.
Be careful not to overfill as that will cause problems as well.

My first instinct from here is that there is an issue with the power steering and the corresponding speed sensor. I believe that is why you are having the issue at speed.

Is the car just very hard to turn the wheel when you let off the gas or is it litterally seem locked in position?

Let me know and I think the suspension can probably be eliminated as the issue.
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 6:12 PM