Ranger A/C or Clutch noise

JAWRANGER
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L 5-Speed 185k

At idle, When A/C is turned on a constant clicking noise comes from somewhere near where the tranny meets the engine (1 click/second). When the clutch pedal is depressed it goes away. Release the clutch pedal and it comes back on. When the A/C is turned off, the noise goes away. It's more prevelant after the truck is fully warmed up/driving for 10+ mins, and especially after I've had the A/C on for 10+ minutes.

I've just had the Clutch and slave cylinder/throwout bearing replaced, the flywheel resurfaced, and the tranny rebuilt. I assumed it was installation error after the noise persisted, so they installed another rebuilt tranny.

The noise is still present. The transmission shop says it must be something other than the clutch/tranny yet it seems thats where the noise is definitely coming from.

Is there something wrong in my A/C system? Is it due to installation error? I should also note that my serpentine belt is noisy until the engine has warmed up if that has anything to do with it
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM

DOCFIXIT
Has the shop checked for crankshaft end play? Was click there before work? Does AC cool?
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 8:54 PM
JAWRANGER
A/C still blows cold.

To my knowledge, no they haven't checked for crankshaft play. Could the crankshaft be the culprit because it's making noise when the A/C turns on, causing the engine to be under load?

Click was not present before any labor was performed. At first the shop only performed the clutch job. I immediately noticed the noise on the drive home. They first though it was due to a lack of dowel pins in the flywheel (said the truck's previous owner could've left them out when he replaced the clutch in the past).

They replaced the flywheel with one with dowel pins and yet the problem persisted. It was the Friday before close when they had finished, they said bring it back the following Monday. In addition to the clicking/rattle sound with the A/C, Tranny started making a loud whining anytime I stepped on the throttle for the next two days until it grenaded while driving 65mph in 5th gear on the turnpike. Had them tow it to the shop Saturday night.

Tranny was done for. They put in a rebuilt tranny. Whinning was gone, yet the A/C clicking/rattle was still present. Had them put in another rebuilt tranny. A/C clicking rattle is still there. They claim it can't be the tranny.
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 9:12 PM
DOCFIXIT
So click showed up after clutch job? Does click go up and down in frequency with RPM? Is click present at idle?
Thursday, September 8th, 2011 AT 2:46 PM
JAWRANGER
Yes, click showed up AFTER clutch job.

It's more of a "rattle" then a "click."
-Present ONLY at idle, when A/C is turned on. When you press the throttle it goes away. When you press in the clutch, it goes away.
-It makes noise in tune/rhythm with the engine speed (RPM)
-It makes a noise about 2 times per second.
+1
Thursday, September 8th, 2011 AT 7:22 PM
DOCFIXIT
Maybe exhaust heat shield got bent. Raise truck have helper run listen and look for source
Thursday, September 8th, 2011 AT 7:30 PM
JAWRANGER
Also, after having the transmission installed, there is an additional clicking noise coming from the engine, seperate from the "clicking rattle" that is associated with the A/C

-Only happens when first starting the car and the engine is cold
-Clicks at idle and when the throttle is pressed
-Belts are loud/whine at idle and when the throttle is pressed.
-Clicks/Belt whine increase with engine speed
-Both whine and the clicks go away once the engine has warmed up.

Again, these noises are seperate from the A/C "clicking rattle, " but was not present until the work was performed on my truck.

I mentioned it incase the two problems were related.
Thursday, September 8th, 2011 AT 7:32 PM
JAWRANGER
Did that, it's not the heat shield.
Thursday, September 8th, 2011 AT 7:34 PM
DOCFIXIT
Not being able to hear noise not much I can do for you. Your my ears so need to pin point origin of noise
Thursday, September 8th, 2011 AT 7:41 PM