2000 FORD RANGER BRAKES

• raylr
  • 2000 Ford Ranger
  • automatic

How do I determine if I have the ABS system and if it is 2 or 4 wheel? Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 7:33 AM

• caradiodoc

Follow the steel brake lines out of the master cylinder to see what they go into. If there's a brass block under it, on the frame rail, with three additional lines going out, that's the standard combination valve, and you don't have anti-lock brakes. If one steel line goes to a larger valve assembly that has one more line going to the rear brakes, that's rear-wheel-ABS. You'll find a speed sensor with two wires on top of the rear differential. If you have four-wheel ABS, the hydraulic controller near the master cylinder will be a lot more substantial. There will be speed sensors on each front wheel. You'll see the wires going to them clipped to the flexible rubber brake hoses.

There will be a yellow ABS warning light on the dash that lights up for six seconds during the system self test when you turn on the ignition switch. Also, most trucks have a sticker in the glove box listing the optional equipment. That will list which anti-lock system you have.

Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 7:45 AM