MY CAR SHUTS OFF WHEN I GET ON AND OFF THE HIGHWAY, BOTH RIGHT TURN LOOP ENTRANCE AND EXITS.

• MrRW91
  • 2000 FORD FOCUS

I recently bought my car from a used car dealership and their product is usually pretty reliable, and affordable. I haven't heard any complaints from them. However, I have had it for about a week and haven't had any problems until yesterday. I was on my way home from work, and I was getting onto the highway which looped down from an intersecting main road above. I was doing approximately between 40-50 mph. On the on-ramp itself. And about 3/4 of the way around the turn, the car basically shut off. Now, I say basically, because the radio was still on, the lights were still on, I was still moving, but it sounded like the engine went to an idle, and shut off. I pulled over, sat with it in drive for a minute because I didn't want to break anything, and then decided that I wanted to put it in park and turn the ignition to off. After I did that, I noticed that the check engine light, the oil light, and the battery light were all on. However, the car started right up and got me home with no other problems. I called the dealership as soon as I got home, and they said the old, 'Call back if it happens again, ' bit. So, on my way home from work tonight, it happened in the same exact spot, and then AGAIN on the off-ramp. I haven't gone on a left entrance or exit ramp yet, so I don't know if it happens when I turn the wheel both directions, but it does seem to be when the wheel gets to a certain point, with addition to a certain speed. I don't know if there are wires loose, and the wheels are hitting them. Or the battery cables are loose, I haven't looked under my hood because I don't know what to look for. I am 20 years old and my Dad is also uncertain of what it could be. I am going to call the dealership back tomorrow and see if I can bring the car in and have them look at it. I am asking on here, if you have heard of this problem before, or any clue as to what could be shutting my engine off.

Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

I have delt with other vehicles that had similar problems. What it usually ends up dealing with is a weak fuel pump. It seems that when you turn, the fuel in the tank moves around and for some reason, the pump doesn't pick it up. As a result the engine looses power or stalls. I would mention that to them. As far as the battery terminals, just open the hood, locate the battery, and see if the connection is loose enough to move around.

Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 5:17 AM