4 wheel drive don't work

JAMIE SOJDAK
  • 2000 FORD F-250

I have shift on the fly and when I turn on to 4 wheel drive light don't come on and 4 wheel drive don't work? I did all that even put new hubs and vac lines on but when I turn the switch I have no light and no 4 wheel drive. My lock outs work good its the transfer case that is not kicking in the switch has no light I have power to the motor on the transfer case but its not kicking in on and thank u for this help.

Thank u again for this help I am lost I just bought a new motor for the transfer case and I hope that's the problem if not its a costly very costly mistake lol
mike thank you but I was wondering if u had the wiring diagrams also cause its telling me to check all these wires and I have no clue where they are lol and again thank u for the help

Iam pretty sure everything is cause I hooked a tester up to it and I can make the 4 wheel drive engage well at least that's what the machine said lol and it shows the switch is working but the real weird thing is that when I moved it the other day it was actually in 4 low but the switch was not on I was thinking I did that with the tester I was wondering if there was a separate wiring harness to the motor on the transfer case I dont want to get a whole new wiring harness for the whole thing again thank u for ur help

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 10:18 PM

2CARPROS KEN

When the four wheel drive stops working it usually is the fuse, relay or transfer case actuator. Here is some diagrams (below) and a couple for guides to help you test for the problem.

You can see from the wing diagrams the fuses and relays.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here are wiring and fuse diagrams (below)

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 8:53 PM
LARSON_EIGHT
  • FORD F-250

I own a 1997 ford f-250 HD with a 7.3L turbo diesel and 303,000 miles on it. It starts up and runs great. But recently when I engage the four wheel drive (manual locking hubs) and the front wheels start to spin, they have power going to the for a second and then I hear a clunk underneath the truck. After the clunk the front wheels no longer have any power and just the back ones spin. Then I stop the truck and if I try again the same thing happens. The 4wd light stay on when I have it in 4wd and goes off then I put in in 2wd so thats o.K. I'm guessing the problem is in the transfer case but not sure. I'd like to fix it myself so if anyone could help me out with any advice or answers to this problem i'd appreciate it. Thank You

Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 8:53 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Whens the last time you inspected the hubs? They are only plastic parts inside.303,000 mi time to take a look! Get any brakework done lately? If so somebody screwed somthin up!

LEFTYLIBRA3
  • 2004 FORD F-250

I recently got stuck in the mud and used 4 wheel drive to get out. After disengaging 4 wheel drive I have had a popping noise in the front end when turning tight left and right at slow speeds and the 4 wheel drive does not work anymore. Now when I try to turn 4 wheel drive on I here an odd sound. Please help!

Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 8:54 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

Have the hubs checked as they may be malfunctioning from all the mud

TEXMAR
  • 1999 FORD F-250

1999 Ford F250 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100K miles

Turn on the head light switch the 4 wheel drive kicks out, while the windshield wipers do not work and the electric side windows do not work.

Turn off the head lights the 4 wheel drive kicks in cluncing, not working propersly, now
the windshield wipers work and the electric side windows work.

I have disconnected the axel for the 4 wheel drive,
still the things above happens.

The fuse box has taken water and there is some green in ther, however, I do not where I can buy a new one?

If that is my problem?

MERLIN2021

Scan it for B codes, this sounds like the GEM(generic electronic module) is defective, but scan with either a Ford tool, or at a good shop that can scan B and U codes. B and U codes will not turn on the MIL(check engine light).

FRANK1971
  • 2002 FORD F-250

Have 02 f250 7.3 auto trans, 4wd don't work have replaced just about everything, new switch, control motor on transfer case new module under dash, fuses and relays are good, what else is there, should I have power to the switch only power I have is for the light.

ASEMASTER6371

Stop replacing parts without knowing the issue.

You need someone with a scan tool to monitor the system and locate the failure.

There are codes for this system and you can acuate the motor at the case.

FRANK1971

That's what ford garage told me code was, the trans esof motor, other garage told me code was module, still not getting answer I need, should I have power on switch in dash and where does that power come from

CLAKERS23
  • 1999 FORD F-250

109,000 miles I was driving all day and the four wheel drive was working fine. I shifted out of four wheel drive & tried shifting back in & now it will not work.

GODBEAR839

Electric or manual shift?

CLAKERS23

It's electric shift and I'm not getting any power to it.

DOUBLE D 2489
  • 1991 FORD F-250

I have a 1991 Ford F250 with the 351 Windsor. It has the original automatic lock outs. When I try to engage the 4 wheel drive it jumps in and out of 4 wheel drive, it sounds like something is spinning and not engaging. Prior to this the 4 heel drive has been trying to engage at around 45 mph. There is a grinding noise and vibration but after lifting off the accelerator it goes away. Any idea what may be causing this problem?

You need to remove, clean and lubericate the hubs. They are not engaging or disengaging properly.