What does it mean when the truck hesitates to change gears between 40 and 50 mph?

SHELL9511
  • 2000 FORD F-150
For the last week, it seems that the truck has a little hesitation when trying to change gears between 40 and 50. The rpm's will go up and then drop back down once it changes. It doesn't seem to do it all the time. Definitely once it gets hot and gets going, it doesn't seem to do it anymore that I have noticed. The service engine light is not on and when I took it to a transmission shop they couldn't get a code. But they were very anxious to tell me that it would be $1200 for a repair and about $2200 for a rebuild. Can you give me an idea of what could be wrong?
Friday, September 9th, 2011 AT 12:09 PM

YOU'VE ALREADY BEEN TO "A PRO"...WHAT ABOUT 2 OR SO, MORE OPINIONS?

SOMETHING PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET ABOUT IS "SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE"...WHEN'S THE LAST TIME YOU DID A FILTER/ FLUID CHANGE?

ALL OF THE MANUALS FOR YOUR TRUCK WILL TELL YOU WHEN TO DO IT!

IT'S NORMALLY A EZ TASK!

YOU KNOW, I'M NOT A "PAID" MECHANIC, BUT I'VE BEEN DOING STUFF LIKE THAT FOR MYSELF/ FAMILY/ AND FRIENDS EVER SINCE JUNIOR HIGH...I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN REPAIR MANUALS........I HAVE YET TO COME ACROSS ANY MANUALS TAT SAY "IF YOU WAIT TOO LONG TO CHANGE THE FILTER/ FLUID IT WILL SHELL OUT YOUR TRANNY"......JUST NEVER SEEN IT IT WRITING, ONLY HEARD IT SAID BY "PEOPLE WITHOUT AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING DEGREE"???

WHAT CAN YOU HURT?....I'VE SEEN IMPROVEMENT ON VEHICLES THAT "WAITED TOO LONG"!

IT'S POSSIBLE THAT FLUID JUST AIN'T GETTING THRU A DIRTY FILTER FAST ENOUGH TO SATISFY THE TRANNYS NEEDS....AND YES, IT COULD BE ANOTHER PROBLEM TOO!

KINDA ONE OF THOSE DILEMMAS, THIS IN ONE HAND, VS THAT IN THE OTHER

I DID NOT HAVE THE PROPER INFO ABOUT YOUR TRUCK (PROVIDED BY YOU) AT THE TOP OF THIS POST, SO I JUST SORTA WINGED THIS PART, DO A PROPER SEARCH, FOR MORE CORRECT RESULT....YOU WILL ALSO NEED THE "CORRECT" TRANNY FLUID, THE PARTS STORE CAN TELL YOU HOW MUCH, JUST FOR A FILTER CHANGE...THE TRANNY DIPSTICK, USUALLY HAS THE TYPE, STAMPED ON IT.

JUST A WILD GUESS....DIY, LESS THAN $40 TO TRY THE FILTER CHANGE...DON'T FORGET, AT LEAST CALL/ GO SEE, ANOTHER TRANNY SHOP, ASK THEIR OPINION

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A REPAIR MANUAL, YOU SHOULD....ACTUALLY READ THRU IT, NOT JUST THE PART "YOU NEED FOR NOW". THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

LET ME KNOW HOW ITS GOING

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

Friday, September 9th, 2011 AT 1:32 PM