2000 Ford F-150 Brake pedal goes to floor

CT_8883
  • 2000 FORD F-150
I had the RF caliper go bad I replaced it rotors and pads. After that the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. I replaced Master cylinder, bench bled per mfg. Insert, rebled brakes at calipers, still goes to floor. I checked brake booster pressure valve it was good. I have bled brakes 5 times no luck. I have not let resivoir get low on fluid, before you ask. What else could it be?
Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 AT 1:29 PM

IF YOU HAVE DRUM BRAKES IN THE REAR...THEY NEED TO BE PROPERLY ADJUSTED/ REPAIRED

THE SELF ADJUSTERS WILL STOP WORKING WHEN THEY GET RUSTY OR REALLY DIRTY

AS FAR AS BLEEDING.......EVERYBODY'S GOT THEIR OWN WAY.....SOME RIGHT....SOME WRONG

THIS IS THE BEST WAY I HAVE FOUND......THE "TRICKS" DON'T USUALLY CUT IT FOR ME....I'M COPYING AND PASTING THIS FROM ANOTHER POST I ANSWERED

My Bench bleeding ain't on the bench...it's on the vehicle!

Much EZer that way!

This can be done on the vehicle (my preference) using two people, one pumping and one monitoring the Master Cylinder.

I wrap string loops around the little hoses and tie a knot, as to keep the tubes from blowing off of the plastic adapters.

I take it one step further, by squeezing the little hoses with my fingers (as if I were a check valve) The VERY SLOW PUMPING OF THE PEDAL will push the fluid into the reservoir, SCOOTING BY MY PINCHING, but the pinch will not allow it TO S.UCK AIR BACK, as you see in the beginning of this video....My way makes things faster, but if you did not tie the hoses to the adapters--THEY WILL BLOW LOOSE (lots of adjectives will be bust loose out of your mouth!)

This is very similar to my way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jhbz4mVKw&feature=related

xbleeding

This is the basic bleeding procedure I use:

KEEP FLUID IN THE RESERVOIR AT ALL TIMES/ CONSTANTLY CHECKING!

START WITH FURTHEST OUT WHEEL CYLINDER, FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER, WORKING TO THE CLOSEST (RR, LR, RF, LF)

2 PEOPLE, ONE PUMPING, OTHER BLEEDING AND REFILLING.......WE WANT TO KEEP IT AT LEAST 1/2 FULL ALL OF THE TIME!

#1 man is the Bleeder

#2 man is the Pump Man

1-MAN BREAKS BLEEDER LOOSE-SNUGS IT BACK YELLS, "PUMP IT UP"........THIS INSURE'S IT'S NOT STUCK, WHEN YOU BEGIN

2 MAN-PUMPS 6-8 TIMES (YELLS "PUMPING") THEN HOLDS PEDAL--YELLS, "HOLDING"

1-MAN CRACKS BLEEDER...AIR/ FLUID SPURTS OUT

2-MAN YELL, "FLOOR", JUST BEFORE THE PEDAL, ACTUALLY HITS THE FLOOR

1-MAN TIGHTENS THE BLEEDER....WHILE IT IS STILL SPURTING OUT (NOT AFTER IT STOPS...OR IT WILL SUCK AIR BACK IN).....THEN YELLS, "OKAY---PUMP IT UP"

PROCESS STARTS OVER UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED, WITH EACH WHEEL

THIS DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER THEY ARE DRUM BRAKES OR DISC.

ON DRUM BRAKES:

YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE THE SELF-ADJUSTERS PUSHING THE SHOES CLOSE TO THE DRUMS, SHOES SLIGHTLY TOUCHING THE DRUMS , BEFORE YOU DO THE BLEEDING PROCEDURE.....THIS WILL KEEP YOU PEDAL AT THE TOP AND TIGHT.

I PREFER THIS OVER USING THE ONE MAN, HOSE AND CUP, METHOD WHERE YOU SUBMERGE THE HOSE AND PUMP....TO ME THIS IS FASTER AND MUCH EZer........NO LITTLE HOSES FALLING OFF AND MESSING UP THE PROCESS

HOW DID YOU APPROACH YOURS?

LET ME KNOW IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING....I'LL BE MAKING PICS OF SOME OF THIS LATER, I JUST AIN'T BEEN MOTIVATED HERE LATELY

LET'S KEEP THE BRAKE JUICE OFF OF THE PAINT.......BRAKE JUICE IS WATER SOLUBLE, SO IT WILL RINSE AWAY EZily

Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 AT 5:56 PM