THE CAR IS MAKING NOISES AFTER THE STARTER WAS CHANGED

• mildred2312
  • 2000 Ford Explorer

The starter was changed today. A few minutes after I took it out of the mechanic's shop I noticed that the car (SUV) is making noises (like low explosions or bubbles) when I turn the wheels to park it or at a curve. I called my brother (who is not a mechanic, but know more than I do about cars) and he told me that may be the timing belt was moved when the starter was changed. He also mentioned the ignition, but I do not know anything about cars. I called the mechanic and he said he drove the car arounbd the block and it was fine, but to take it back to his shop tomorrow. I would like to have an idea of what is wrong with the car. It was towed to the mechanic this morning because it did not start, but everythinbg else was fine. Please let me know what could be the problem. In addition to the noises, I noticed the car a little slow and the radio will not turn on either. Is that all related?

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 10:01 PM

• rivermikerat

The radio could be either a fuse or a loose connection.

The noise during cornering could be air in the power steering system.

Unless the mechanic fiddled with stuff he shouldn't have during the starter change, it should not be able to cause any of the problems you mentioned. The one exception is if he installed the starter incorrectly and it isn't properly aligned, the flexplate and starter gears could be hitting each other.

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 10:23 PM