A/C problems

BLIVINGSTON6@VERIZON.NET
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Why does my a/c stop blowing when I accelerate. I have a 2000 ford explorer V8 2WD
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 6:07 PM

Does the fan stop running or does the air flow switch to defrost?
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 7:29 PM
BLIVINGSTON6@VERIZON.NET
The fan does not stop running. Not sure if it turns to the defrost or not. It keeps running in the back seat and feels like it runs on sides. It is the middle vents that I notice the most that stop until I left off the gas.
+1
Monday, June 20th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM
Sorry for the delay. A common problem related to accelerating is loss of engine vacuum. That is normal but the heater controls are run by that engine vacuum. Most systems are spring-loaded to default to the defrost position when that vacuum is lost. That is so even though your feet might be freezing, your windshield will be clear. There is a check valve to prevent that momentary loss of vacuum from affecting the heater controls.

The first thing to check is that vacuum check valve. It's located in a small vacuum hose between the engine and firewall, typically very near the firewall. There is also a different check valve with a built-in storage canister to really solve this condition. If you need one and can't find it in a salvage yard or at the Ford dealer, I know for certain you will find one at the Chrysler dealer's parts department. The original valve is about the size of a stack of three nickels with a port on each side. The upgraded valve is about 1 1/4" in diameter and perhaps two inches long.
+1
Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 AT 4:24 AM