No heat

CHRISTEEANDY1
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
Our '00 ford expedition lost heat and smelled like fish. We were told it was the heater core. We replaced it the front one and it was in fact bad (had a hole in it) after adding coolant and starting it we had heat. After a couple of weeks the air would blow cold. We were told to add coolant bc there was probably air in it too keep the coolant full. After adding some the air became hot again. Until a week or so after. It starting blowing cold air again. The coolant is full and the car isn't overheating.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 11:09 PM

WRENCHTECH
With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If not too hot to hold, then you have to look at the actual engine temp and if that is up, if it is, then your looking at a restricted heater core.
If you find that they are both too hot to hold, then the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
If they are both not too hot to hold on to, then you either have a restricted heater core or the system is not completely full and getting air pockets for some reason.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 11:23 PM
CHRISTEEANDY1
The hoses are not hot, so my guess is it would be the restricted heater core or the system is not completely full and getting air pockets. How do I get out the air pockets? I tried "burping" it, but after the engine warmed up the coolant just ran out.
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 11:41 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, you can't do it hot. Fill the system completely cold, drive the truck around until it reaches full operating temp, then shut it off and leave it alone until completely cold. Refill it again and repeat the process until it doesn't take any more.
+1
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 12:18 AM