Location of 02 sensors

POCOLACHRISTIAN
  • 2000 DODGE STRATUS
I have a 2000 dodge stratus 2.4L. I think the o2 sensors need replaced and I was wondering where they are located with a diagram or explanation. Thank you.
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 8:00 PM

Mitchell 1 says a 2.4L engine only has one and its on the exhaust manifold-sorry no pic
+1
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
In the exhaust pipe. One is right before the catalytic converter and one is after it. What makes you think they need to be replaced? Has the Check Engine light turned on. Just curious; why does everyone write "need replaced" instead of "needs replacing" or "needs to be replaced"? I see that a lot but only on the internet.
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
POCOLACHRISTIAN
I didn't know this was an english forum sorry. So one person says one and the other says two who's right. Any diagrams would help.
-1
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 11:07 PM
It's not an English forum. I'm just wondering why so many people are using the same wrong terminology over and over and finally decided to ask. Since 1996 models, all cars sold in the U.S. Have the OBD2 (on-board diagnostics version 2), emissions system which includes a sensor like normal in front of the catalytic converter to fine tune the fuel / air mixture. The second one added after the converter is to monitor the catalyst efficiency. The front one will switch between "rich" and "lean" multiple times per second. When the converter is working properly the exhaust gas leaving it will switch very slowly, perhaps as little as once or twice every few minutes. When the converter stops working no change takes place in the composition of the exhaust gas so the second, (downstream) sensor switches faster. When it approaches the switching rate of the front sensor the computer knows no change is taking place in the gases, it sets a related diagnostic fault code in memory, and turns on the Check Engine light.
+1
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 11:22 PM
POCOLACHRISTIAN
How about map sensor can you tell me where that is located. Thanks for all your help.
-1
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 12:24 PM
Picture in the service manual is a little confusing. Look for a sticker under the hood or by the radiator that shows vacuum hose routing to see if they show that sensor. It is held on in front of the intake manifold by one bolt, (at least that's all they show). There should be no vacuum hose going to it but it will have a three-wire connector with a black / light blue, violet / white, and dark green / red wire.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 8:38 PM