What does it mean when the dash board is saying "NO Bus"?

• 2 POSTS

I was driving down the street when the car cut off on me. I had the alternator checked and it is fine the starter is fine also. The car is trying to turn over but it isn't a friend says it seems like the power core is not getting a fire. The dashboard says "NO BUS" and I have lost my manual so I have no idea what that means.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 6:09 PM

You've really lost a lot in translation. That's one of the reasons mechanics lose our trust, when we hear things differently than what they meant, and when they have a hard time telling us what they mean.

The alternator and starter have nothing to do with this problem unless system voltage was dropping gradually while you were driving. You would have noticed that by the dropping "Volts" gauge on the dash and a warning light, "Check Gauges" and a chime. If the engine is cranking normally but just not starting, the alternator and starter are okay.

The issue is the "No Buss" message. The data buss for all of the computers to talk with each other originates in the Body Computer. That computer could have a problem, but it's just as likely a fuse has blown. Start by checking all the fuses under the hood and inside the car.

The camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor can cause engine stalling, but you shouldn't get a "No Buss" message. Your mechanic will connect a scanner to see why that message is showing up. If there really is a problem with the data buss, the scanner won't be able to communicate with any of the computers either.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 9:45 PM