A/C QUIT WORKING TRIED VERYTHING

2000 Dodge Ram

devin87

July, 6, 2012 AT 12:53 AM

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie a/c quit working I have checked all relays and fuses I put a guage on the low pressure side and tested it was too high I tried to jump the clutch with a jumper wire and it would not engage I put all new switches in the heater control and nothing any help would be appreciated

July, 6, 2012 AT 12:56 AM

Do you have power to the compressor?

devin87

July, 6, 2012 AT 1:17 AM

Yes i'm getting power to the compressor

July, 6, 2012 AT 1:19 AM

Ok, then you have open windings in the clutch if it is not engaging. You most likely need a compressor, dryer, evac and charge.

devin87

July, 6, 2012 AT 1:50 AM

Thanks for the advice i'll give it a try

caradiodoc

July, 6, 2012 AT 2:56 AM

Just for fun, grab an ohm meter and measure the continuity of the clutch coil. Had a former student with a 2000 Dakota and failed clutch. Took him to a friend's shop where he rebuilds one-year-old smashed Chrysler products, and he said this is real common. Some even get so bad there's wires hanging out from the coil coming apart. You need special tools to replace the clutch but it will save you having to evacuate and recharge the refrigerant. Get a new clutch though, not a used one.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement