2000 Dodge Neon Neon wont start

RANDYTHEJEEPGUY
  • 2000 DODGE NEON
I have a 2000 neon 2.0 ive replaced the crank, cam sensors, coil pack, timeing is on and tight, good fuel pressure, checked the injectors, checked for spark and I get spark sometimes its not strong it. Cranks over but wont fire up. The only thing havent done is the compression check. The car just died n im pulling my hair out tryn to figure it out
Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 10:19 AM

WRENCHTECH
You need to be more thorough and accurate with your testing.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using an adjustable spark tester. It should be able to jump more than a half inch gap. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 11:31 AM
Did you check for applicable trouble codes, before you worked on it? I haven't looked at your diagnostics, you may need an obd2 code reader to check codes on this?

Any testing, you need to do it with engine cranking, otherwise the test may not be conclusive. Spark at the plugs, then use a gage and check fuel pressure.

Checking for an injector pulse is a good way to see if you have an rpm signal. I saw what you replaced, but, you probably should have tested the wiring circuits to and from those parts, first.

Your battery has a full charge?
Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 11:40 AM
Hi wrench, didn't see an answer here when I posted, have a good day.
Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 12:01 PM
WRENCHTECH
That's no problem JDL.
Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 12:45 PM