2000 Dodge Neon Neon brake switch

ROBERT1993
  • 2000 DODGE NEON
I keep getting the check engine light and everytime that I test it I get the same code (P0703) I know its the brake switch code but what I cant figure out is why it is still coming on after I have already replaced the switch, and the code has come back 3 times since then and 1 time before I replaced it, I have unplugged the battery to reset the codes and it stayed off for about a day and a half and then it comes right back
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 3:03 PM

P0703 - Torque Converter/Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction

The mistake you're making is diagnostic fault codes never say to replace parts or that they're defective. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. This type of problem requires a scanner so you can see what the computer is seeing and when the problem acts up. Then you need the diagnostic manual to know which circuit to look at. Intermittent problems like this are almost impossible to find with a voltmeter.
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 3:15 PM
ROBERT1993
So I could take it to a shop and they be able to tell me whats going on with it?
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 3:52 PM
Yup; that's what they do.

Sorry for the delay. I'm fighting a dying computer. Chrysler has some really nice manuals for diagnosing these fault codes but you need their DRB3 scanner to communicate with the various computers. There's a lot of aftermarket scanners out there too that are almost as good, and some of them have those diagnostic manuals built in They can tell the mechanic exactly which wire to test and what to expect for results. Most independent shops also subscribe to the online service manual companies. They pay a ridiculous annual fee for access to those web sites but they also have most of the troubleshooting information. A lot of shops bought DRB3 scanners because with an extra plug-in card, they will do emissions-related stuff on all car brands '96 and newer.

Without a scanner, the best I can do is try to help you find what's causing this code with some voltage checks. My closest Neon manual is for a 2001 model but it should be the same. There's three parts to the brake light switch. If the cruise control works and it cancels when you tap the brake pedal, that part is working. If the brake lights turn on and off at the right times, that part is working. The third section is for the shifter interlock solenoid. That circuit is monitored by the Engine Computer and would be the part that's triggering the fault code.

The fault code description is a little different in this service manual. It says, "Brake switch stuck pressed or released". The wire to check is the 20 gauge white / pink. They show that part of the switch turned on when the brake pedal is not pressed. If that is shown correctly, you should find 0 volts on that wire when the brake pedal is released, and 12 volts when it is pressed. If you always have 12 volts, test the 20 gauge black / tan wire for continuity to ground.

I'll stop there for now until you can do those tests and holler back with the results.
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 8:56 PM