VERY LOW COOLANT FLOW THROUGH THE HEATER COREI ...

• mo2roso2
  • 2000 Dodge Durango

Very low coolant flow through the heater core(i disconnected the heater core discharge and started the engine.)When I ran the garden house through it the flow was excellent. I'm looking for a "try next". Maybe a clog in the hoses? Water pump? New belt? Thermostat and coolant level are good btw.

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 AT 6:52 PM

• caradiodoc

Your test method isn't accurate. There is no pressure pushing the coolant when you remove one heater hose. It is just as necessary to have some "pull" on one hose as it is to have the "push" on the other one. Instead, feel the hoses after the engine has been running a while. They should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If they're not, suspect the thermostat.

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 AT 9:49 PM
  • mo2roso2

Ok that makes sense. The inlet hose to the heater core gets hotter than the outlet hose. Neither one gets as hot or close to as hot to the radiator house.

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 AT 10:57 PM